BAA warns of LHR 'capacity crunch'

Discussion in 'LHR/LGW/LCY/LTN/STN | London Area Airports' started by rwoman, Feb 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Telegraph: BAA warns of LHR 'capacity crunch'

I'm wondering if these airlines could fly direct into LGW...not quite as close as LHR, but certainly not difficult to access London.

autolycus, uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    LGW is already the busiest single runway airport in the world and averages 52 operations per hour. Thus, LGW is really no solution. Regardless of the politics, in teh end the most powerful influences, there is a critical need for vastly increased airport capacity for London. Is there a solution? It is not clear, but it is clear that no solution is imminent. Frankly, for our planning purposes as passengers the smart thing is to never transit a London airport. There are too many variables that can cause seriosu delays. Of course, that is the point Colin Matthews is making. The UK is losing share because of that lack of capacity.

autolycus, uggboy and rwoman like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find that the UK government are sleeping on this issue and march always into the wrong direction, they seem not to understand the problem until they fly from LHR!
    LHR needs not 1, but at least 2 or 3 new runways, new terminals, better infrastructure and yes, IMHO better hotels for overnight guests // flyers and of course free bus shuttles to // from hotels // airport. BAA must close their monopole on the "Hoppa Bus" immediately and deliver service.

Where do people and that includes politicians see Heathrow in the next 10, 20, 30 or 50 years? I'm a strong supporter of letting LHR grow modern, better and recognize it as one of the bussiest and hopefully best airport hubs in the world. That's what the future shall bring. People must wake up on the issue urgently or LHR will be overtaken soon by AMS or CDG and others waiting in the wings.

autolycus, jbcarioca and rwoman like this.
  4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    But then someone may suffer from aircraft noise over their house (the horror) that has been built nearby since LHR opened...

While there are valid environmental concerns, they do need to be balanced with business/economic ones as well. There's also APD...:confused:

jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  5. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
  6. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seems to me that so much of the protests against a 3rd runway at Heathrow are actually against aviation in general. I could be wrong, but it seems like people are going to fly, no matter what, and it's not that stopping runway expansion will get them to stop flying...they'll just fly to/from elsewhere. THAT seems to feed into the thrust of the business leaders' arguments...that whilst the UK just talks & protests and talks and protests, emerging markets continue emerging and other locations pick up non-stop access to them.

autolycus and jbcarioca like this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree.It is not that other places have no similar issues, but that several have managed to be creative in making workable solutions. MAD, AMS, CDG and FRA are all with problems of their own, but they've less unreliable options than does LHR or LGW.

Regardless LHR will continue to be at capacity (a third runway would take only months to be once again at capacity, IMO, and LGW single runway is not a viable option either. Still, people will fly and more fo them will do so.

Sadly, everywhere is in a poor state with London airports just a decade or so ahead of the others with problems that have no solutions in sight.

Muddling through will no longer work, I fear.

autolycus and Skye1 like this.