BA Will Re-Launch CMB Service

Discussion in 'oneworld' started by DestinationDavid, Aug 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Following a 15 year suspension, BA will be re-launching service to Sri Lanka.

The flight will be a tag on the existing 3x weekly LGW-MLE flight without local traffic rights for MLE-CMB.

Service re-launches on 3/31/2013.

LINK.

2. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great news. An opportunity to follow in MP's footsteps.

Marco Polo of the 12th Century wrote that Sri Lanka is the finest island in the whole world

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I wonder if AA will change it's award ticket zones to move Sri Lanka into the Middle East/India category vs. Asia 2 where it is now. For while CX was pretty much the only viable option to CMB. Now with RJ and EY available on AA miles and BA coming soon, it makes more sense to allow that type of routing vs hopping the Pacific and taking the milk run from HKG through BKK or SIN.

I haven't been to all the islands, but Sri Lanka is one of my favorite locales.

Flying Bat likes this.
  5. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Great news, minus the LGW part

globalexplorer and Flying Bat like this.
  6. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you prefer <LHR?> to LGW??
    Hard for a carrot munching rabbit to believe, but different strokes for different folks I guess.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    LHR is much more convenient for many connecting itineraries just based on the greater number of flights and destinations served. I cannot speak to originating in the London area other than to surmise that it very much depends on where you live, much like here in NYC.

8. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    What Wandering Aramean said. If connecting from anywhere, you'd have to get on a bus to go to LGW. Not at all convenient. Also, lounges at LHR are a lot better. From a location perspective, it all depends where you are going in London/are living in London. Last time I landed at LGW was last September. It cost me 120 pounds and 2 hours to get to London City for a meeting

9. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gatwick Express runs nonstop from LGW to Victoria station, in exactly 30 minutes. This is always your best bet to get to London, then cab it from there. Just not practical from time and $ wise to cab it from LGW.

CO used to only fly to LGW and I did that for many years. Quicker than taking the tube from LHR to London.. Haven't flown into LGW since CO moved to LHR, but the Gatwick Express is much cheaper than newer Heathrow Express. I actually liked LGW - since it was simple and quick and easy and relatively cheap to get to Victoria.

And the lounges were not that bad. CO had about 4 different Lounges at LGW, and the last one was much nicer than the current *A Lounge at LHR T1.