BA wants 2X the miles to chanrge my Easter Island Trip

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by joesmoe, Jan 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I wanted to make a modification to my trip, and they say its an invalid routing as such I have to pay 2x the miles + taxes/fees to change it.

Anybody else ran into this problem?

Any solution? Or are we just getting the short end of the stick due to the mass easter island bookings...?

2. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will you keep or change your itn?

3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sound to me like you want to change the routing and fly in or out of Peru.. I am I correct?:)

4. The Saint
    Original Member

The Saint Silver Member

Status Points:
    Changes to routing or changes to the first sector will cause a reprice at current rates. Standard industry practice.

Globaliser likes this.
  5. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes. Even programs that are "best in class" will do this. Use it, lose it, or pay for the change.

6. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am booked to Easter Island too and was going to look into a change on the return next week-how did you book the trip and what are you changing?
    I have two one way tickets in J that I was going to change return date to see if I can squeeze Cuzco, when I booked I was told we would be grandfathered under old rules

YULtide likes this.
  7. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am sorry to hear about your situation. I think you have to set it and forget it or you will lose it.

I wish I could have gotten in on more BA Award flights before they switched. Oh well. It is not that bad.

I look forward to hearing about your trip.

8. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just wanted to change one leg of my trip to be one day later but they wouldn't allow it.

Didn't want a routing change or to add a destination or anything.

So I'm just leaving it alone.

LAN is a really annoying airline btw. I've flown them close to a dozen times in the past month, mainly in award or paid biz, and there have been more problems than not. The seats aren't horrible but the service (especially food) leaves much to be desired in my opinion.

Good luck everyone!

Ps anybody else going be in Easter island around feb 20th?

9. EZEIZA
    Original Member

EZEIZA Silver Member

Status Points:
    If that's all the changes you want then unless changes have already been made to your booking I don't see why a date change should not be allowed....phone them up and try again.
    It's only when one wants to add sectors that understandably the new rates will kick in. I see a lot of problems in the year ahead with members who packed in multi stopovers on their redemptions to and in S America as LAN are notorious for changing schedules.
    I would advise people not to be making non flexible hotel bookings too far ahead of your trip.

10. Richard

Richard Active Member

Status Points:
    Bookings made pre-Avios should be dealt with under the old rules, no matter when the changes are initiated.

However, if you have an 'invalid routing' then this is clearly an issue. Might be best to book a more simple routing to IPC if you have tried to milk the most out of your booking already.

11. gpaya
    Original Member

gpaya Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is 100% allowed. Call back and try again.:)

12. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shouldn't you be able to do the date change for the last leg online?

I have a pre-Avios booking SFO-HKG-BKK and I managed to change the date for both legs online with no costs incurred.

13. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just managed to make another date change to our pre-Avios booking on CX so if you go to manage my bookings you should be able to change the date of your return leg if there is availability.

14. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I miss you JUST by a few days. There the week before :)

15. eae

eae Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was there in December (on an rtw as opposed to using miles), it's quite the place. Way more varied and interesting than I had anticipated.

Make sure you check out the crater lakes and caves in addition to the quarry and the moai.

16. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for tips, any suggestions on lodging? I'm there in April and looking now

YULtide likes this.
  17. eae

eae Silver Member

Status Points:

I stayed at Hotel Manavai. It is right in the middle of town, basic but well run and clean. The staff is incredibly friendly and know the island very well.

18. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed 2 places, i can't remember the name of the second but the first was mihi noi which has both camping (bring ur own tent, or use one of theirs) as well as cabins. Its right on the water, in a perfect spot for beautiful sunsets.

Highly recommend it.

I just got back from easter island, had a great time, thanks BA!

19. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    p.s. Rent a car don't bother taking a tour, I did both, and was very dissapointed with the tours.

Also insular rent a car is a horrible company, steer clear from them. They really try and cheat people, this was a common consensus not only from my experience, but also from others experiences.

Oceanic rent a car (across the street from insular) is cheaper, very friendly, etc.

philatravelgirl likes this.
  20. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hah, I stayed at Hotel Orongo, right next to Insular and right across from Oceanic. I agree with that. Though I took a tour, albeit a private one. Since I'd aimlessly drive around if I didn't know what's up, I probably would have rented a car for 2 days. I took a tour for 1. Price was the same. Saw the same things. Didn't have to fiddle around with a manual transmission after not driving one for a while.

I got back from South America last week -- wrote a TR but it's on the TOBB. Look for it. Rather easy to find. I'm also giving away my dual identity by saying this :p