BA vs. AA availability

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Mikus33, Jun 20, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was under the impression that if AA showed a flight at the saver level, then BA should have access to that flight. Am I incorrect?

I'm trying to get from IAH-DFW-MCI on July 10, and the AA site shows IAH-DFW-MCI availability at the saver level. The British Airways site shows availability on the DFW-MCI leg, but not on the IAH-DFW leg. I called BA, and the agent was as unhelpful as expected.

AA - IAH-DFW-MCI
    upload_2015-6-20_11-0-28.png

BA - IAH-DFW
    upload_2015-6-20_11-3-40.png

BA - DFW-MCI
    upload_2015-6-20_11-5-9.png

satman40 likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes.

While the availability is often the same that is not always the case for partners.

okrogius and Mikus33 like this.
  3. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    More specifically, a lot of programs have extra space for their own members. If BA sees AA space, you can use QF or CX miles to book. But AA offering AA space isn't a guarantee of another partner having access. (Although AA does this much more rarely than say CX/SQ/LH/etc.)

satman40 likes this.
  4. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    This actually has nothing to do with "one partner not showing full availability or restricting awards to another" as suggested above but... has everything to do with the fact that the IAH/DFW flight as you actually listed above ( and which should have clued you in) is technically an AA code share with Mesa. Some but not all of the AA's subsidiary flights will not show up on the BA booking engine.
    Added to the above the BA engine over the past few years has had sporadic periods which they have difficulty searching AA ( and LAN) inventory accurately.

BTW you do realize do you not that BA basically treats the above itinerary as two separate awards (as opposed to AA).

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
    flyforawg likes this.
  5. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hate to say as I know the Avios are a great deal on these short hauls but the flights on this route are only about $155-$200 each way. I know it's a good value for the Avios and almost the best use but just buying outright might be worth it to get on a better flight at a better time of day, etc. You could do it for like $200 on Spirit (I know) if your not checking bags or drinking water.
    Oh and I did confirm that I didn't see any BA availability at all on this route as well for July 10.

6. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ran into his same problem with BA.

Alaska had flight award availability but BA could find it. I got the flight dates, number, times and told
    BA and BINGO award AVIOS booked on BA.

BA is a confused customer service department!!

7. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I understand that AA can offer more availability to it's members at the saver level than offer to partners such as BA, but in my (maybe limited) experience they seemed to match up pretty nicely. I figured it was worth a phone call to BA even though I had little expectation it would come to anything (which it didn't).

Thanks, I totally missed that it was operated by Mesa, and that makes a lot more sense to me now if BA doesn't include Mesa availability. I'm not very knowledgeable about how those airlines who are contracted out by AA really work or how they fit into the miles/points game. If I would have noticed it, I probably would have assumed they acted just as if AA was operating the flight, and that's my bad.

And, yes, I do realize that BA treats it as 2 awards, but I'd rather spend 9k Avios than 12.5k AA miles, as I have a ton of Avios, and not living in an AA hub nor wanting to use them on long haul flights makes this a pretty good use of them for me.

Yeah, I have a ton of Avios, and would rather spend those than cash even though it's not too expensive of a flight. My wife, who is actually taking the flight, liked the fact that we weren't spending cash as well as the layover in Dallas due to 'that awesome lounge' (AmEx Centurion) where she could get a manicure (personally, I'd rather take the nonstop flying with a kid, but I do hate blowing the cash too). She's taking Spirit on the way down to IAH, and may end up taking them back as well. She's flying with our 7 month old so I splurged for the Big Front Seat for $32 (total price with a bag and the BFS was about $150 for the MCI-IAH leg).

So, the website didn't see it, but when you called in, they could find the Alaska flight for you right away? Congrats! I'm tempted to call back again, just to see if BA will find the Mesa flight even if everything says they shouldn't be able to see it.

euromannn likes this.
  8. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    [QUOTE="
    So, the website didn't see it, but when you called in, they could find the Alaska flight for you right away? Congrats! I'm tempted to call back again, just to see if BA will find the Mesa flight even if everything says they shouldn't be able to see it.[/QUOTE]

What I did was wanted to use AVIOS points on Alaska Airlines. BA told no award seats available.
    called Alaska and asked if any Alaska Award seats were open and they have 4-5 per flighT!

Called back to BA told them the flight number, dates, time, who then booked me on Alaska Air flight I wanted using AVIOS points. 15,000 Avios RT SEA-LAX

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
    Mikus33 likes this.
  9. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    What I did was wanted to use AVIOS points on Alaska Airlines. BA told no award seats available.
    called Alaska and asked if any Alaska Award seats were open and they have 4-5 per flighT!

Called back to BA told them the flight number, dates, time, who then booked me on Alaska Air flight I wanted using AVIOS points. 15,000 Avios RT SEA-LAX[/QUOTE]

AND.....BA web site could NOT detect open award seats on Alaska which they later acknowledged is an ongoing problem.

Since I called BA and told them the specific flights to book that were available on ALASKA they waived the phone booking fee.

BA customer support is slow and ineffective but nice when they want to compensate you!

10. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Decided to go with the non stop on Spirit - 1 checked bag, and the Big Front Seat for $157 all in.

daninstl likes this.
  11. KVS Tool

KVS Tool Z Representative

Status Points:
    BA.com does have occasional issues with AA/US flights.

The flight in question is available for Partner redemption, but will require an experienced BAEC Agent to process a Long-Sell:

[KVS Tool 7.8.2/Diamond - Awards/QF-OneWorld/AU-QFA-SP]
    Code:
    IAH  Houston George Bush Intercnt'l TX US [KIAH]
    DFW  Dallas Metro / Dallas/Fort Worth TX US = DFW DAL [KDFW]
    FRI  10 Jul 2015 | 1 Seat

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive         St  Award Availability
    ---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------------
    AA/YV      5782    HOU   05:40     DFW   06:56          0   FS-  YS+
    AA         1483    IAH   06:30     DFW   07:45          0   FS+  YS+
    AA/YV      5892    IAH   08:37     DFW   10:04          0   FS+  YS+
    AA         1054    IAH   10:49     DFW   12:07          0   FS+  YS+
    AA/YV      5713    IAH   12:39     DFW   14:08          0   FS-  YS+
    AA/YV      5810    HOU   14:20     DFW   15:33          0   FS-  YS+

Mikus33 likes this.
  12. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Spirit
    Spirit isn't great but with the big seats it's not bad. Just be cautious if you check a bag. They have lower weight limits on the bags than many other airlines and will charge you more if it's over 40 pounds even if you have he big front seat with bag. Spirit has decent service at MCI I think, well as good as one gets here at an outdated airport. I think you made the right choice.

Mikus33 likes this.
  13. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the heads up, that's something I may have not thought to check. It shouldn't be a problem, but I don't want to get dinged for an overweight bag.

14. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wasn't aware of it the first time I flew with Spirit and my bag was like 38 pounds when I checked it. The agent said something about good that it was under 40 and it caught my attention and saw the big time over weight fee sign, yikes. I do like Spirit but they worry me a little as it seems the fleet is thin at certain airports so if there is a mechanical or missed flight you could be in trouble.

Mikus33 likes this.