BA Visa Chip

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by merice107, Sep 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just got a letter in the mail saying that I could get the chip and signature technology on my BA Visa that I got back in June. I have searched threads on here and I see a lot about chip and pin technology (which people seem to have a lot of different opinions on) but people seem to not be that impressed with the chip and signature cards... Am I correct in this observation?

I don't plan on going to Europe anytime soon. I hope to go to Asia next summer (2014). Would having the chip and signature technology be beneficial to me? Are there any security risks with having that version of a card? I do not have to pay for that version so I figured I would get it as long as the negatives didn't outweigh the positives.

2. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    No harm in getting the chip version. It's beneficial in the sense that places that are used to using the chip instead of the swipe will not look askance at you when presenting the card as a form of payment.

I've used recently used the card in South America, Western Europe, and Southeast Asia, and did not encounter any problems.

The real test, IMHO, will come when I want to use the card in a "card chip-only with PIN" machine, like the ticket vending machines at CDG when I want to catch the RER B train into Paris. Chase says that the cards will work in such machines, but I have yet to test the validity of this statement.

IDGflygirl, edekba and merice107 like this.
  3. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Chip is far more secure and encrypted that the rest of my life...

4. georockc

georockc Silver Member

Status Points:
    You don't have to go all the way to Europe to find Chip & Pin in use. It's the most common method here in Canada. I called and asked them to send me the Chip card, had it within a week.

5. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just called and the lady told me you can not see the chip... She said that starting in December they will start sending out the new version that is pictured where the chip is visible in the top left corner of the card.

6. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Huh?

You can absolutely see the chip. I am holding the card right now. The chip is to the left of the card number.

IDGflygirl and merice107 like this.
  7. bretta

bretta Silver Member

Status Points:
    BTW - I was just in Switzerland, Austria, and Germany, and the BA and Hyatt "Chip and Signature" cards are basically useless. The automated CC machines in small town train, underground, and funicular stations required a PIN, which made the cards unusable. When a person or swipe was available, any US swipe card will work. So, I fail to see the advantage of chip and signature over a basic card. (I do absolutely see the advantage of Chip and Pin, but the BA card isn't that).

8. freebird

freebird Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm in south Korea right now and visited Japan last week. I did't have any problem using credit cards without the chip, and same experience in Korea.

9. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wondering if one can't just call Chase and establish a PIN.

10. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but then it's a cash advance (usually no grace period).

11. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, would it be if used for a purchase when inserted into a chip reader? Sure, you use the card at a regular ATM and enter a PIN, no question it's a cash advance. But at a point-of-sale terminal, or in a ticket machine (where the card is dipped, but not inserted and held by the machine), would it still be a cash advance-like transaction? Maybe I'll contact Chase today to inquire.

12. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's what I thought. I told her that the picture shows the chip in the top left corner and you can see it. It sounds like it is exactly like yours. She seemed very intent on the fact that it was not visibly... Weird lady! I don't know what she was talking about.

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had the card (actually still do... in my safe, but it's canceled). The chip is most definitely visible. Maybe call again, and if the next agent gives you the same story, ask them how exactly the card reader is going to connect electrically to the invisible/non-existing contacts on the chip?

merice107 likes this.
  14. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    My experience in Sweden this past summer was that the chip worked in the card readers, but that other cards without chips seemed to work just as well. In Goteborg, we tried to use the chip card in a parking machine, and it didn't work. The card without it did work, though. So no real advantage to using the chip-n-signature BA card.

15. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    This could be highly dependent upon how the transaction reported, but in general with a PIN it's considered a cash advance. Not sure how this would be handled.

I simply used my debit cards in Europe when I needed a PIN.

jetsetr likes this.
  16. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    But not in machines that required your card to have a chip, correct?

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  17. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct. I have no chip cards.