BA to launch Gatwick-Las Vegas route

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by uggboy, May 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    BA to launch Gatwick-Las Vegas route:)

SOURCE: http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/ba-to-launch-gatwick-las-vegas-route

Great news for BA and LGW!:)

JetsettingEric, LETTERBOY and rwoman like this.
  2. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm curious why they would add a flight from LGW rather than simply increase frequency from LHR. :confused:

3. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess UK Gamblers wanting to cross the Pond is enjoying a boom of sorts...?

4. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Limited slot availability at LHR, perhaps? Not sure. Or simply because LGW seems to be the leisure travel airport of choice in London?

LETTERBOY likes this.
  5. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    A lot of UK O&D traffic wouldn't much care whether it's LHR or LGW, particularly if the new LGW flight aims to soak up some of the IT-type demand. And there will be a significant proportion of the market for which LGW is positively more convenient geographically.

Prospero and LETTERBOY like this.
  6. EZEIZA
    Original Member

EZEIZA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Given the massive number of gambling options available in the UK I think it'll be the other Vegas attractions which are pulling the tourists in.
    I certainly wouldn't fly thousands of miles just to put $5 on red. :D

Gaucho and LETTERBOY like this.
  7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some of the posts in this thread clearly demonstrates those who know the least about Las Vegas (and the gambling options available there ) are the ones who somehow manage to make the silliest comments about the place as travel or gambling venue... but then isnt this a FF board? where the number of posts tend to automatically qualify you as an expert.:)

8. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree you can gamble quite a bit in the UK, but Vegas gambling is a somewhat unique experience... there is also all the other stuff including shopping & golf which are both probably less expensive in Vegas than in the UK...... or maybe London is a gateway for international gamblers coming from the Orient that want to go to Vegas...?

EZEIZA and LETTERBOY like this.
  9. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure where you are going with the above.... but, I would love to learn more about Vegas. Ive been there 3-4 times before so Im no insider, but I do know enough about the city to understand there is much more to it than Gambling.... in any event, would love to read your take on this new route and Vegas in general. As a final note, not sure that my designation as a Gold member here qualifies me as anything other than a bozo that spends a decent amount of time lurking and posting nonsense.

Look forward to your follow up post(s) on Sin City..... may I call it that or would that also be silly....? Heck, Andre Agassi live(s) or lived in Vegas.... so Im sure the place cant be all that bad.....

EZEIZA and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  10. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope you did not think that despite quoting your post I was referring to you... well I was not.
    Like every travel destination I can think of Las Vegas has its detractors... usually the sour grape types who have never been there .. But hell there are types who hate Paris or Rome.

My only comment regarding the BA route addition is that I do believe some extensive research went into the decision and it was deemed profitable or at least a positive for their network.
    But I am always amazed by the types who come on here probably flying one a year, make a few posts on a BB board and think that makes them a travel consultant or even airline CEO.

LV (and I will stick to the city itself.. Not the surrounding area) has other attractions other than gambling but even the gambling is unlike anywhere else in the world not even Atlantic City or Macau which has modeled itself at least on the face of it as a Las Vegas of the East, is a poor facsimile. The sheer variety of types of games and the required stakes level is found no where else.
    At least one doesnt have to go through the standard rip-off "pay the new club member to enter our dive" all too common in the UK:rolleyes:

One of LV major attractions is its portfolio of very good dining options. There are (sometimes more than one place) run by by Joel Robuchon, Daniel Boulard, Guy Savoy, Pierre Gagnaire, Thomas Keller, Wolfgang Puck, Emerill Lagasse, Charlie Trotter, Mario Batelli to name a few that springs readily to mind... so can you dine to your hearts content and as you know wine gooes with good food.

If you are into nightclubs LV has some of the countries best and outrageous to fill all your party requirements. Entertainment is not limited to the cabaret types some of world best entertainers appear here on a regular basis and no other city can boast of six or seven very different Circ de Soliel shows.

11. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes the shows.... how could I forget...? One of the best I saw was Blue Man Group..... exceptional !!! :cool:

newbluesea likes this.
  12. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget good weather.

Add in a relatively weak US dollar (although this has fluctuated recently) combined with low Vegas room rates and it's a fantastic deal.

The lowest priced four seasons in the world in is Las Vegas. I've got an FHR rate for $229, which includes dinner for two at their restaurant, room upgrade, late checkout, free breakfast for 2 on top of all the four seasons amenities.

13. EZEIZA
    Original Member

EZEIZA Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also interpreted it as a slur on Gaucho...one of MilePoints as well as Flyertalks most respected contributors. You shouldn't be talking like that to any member anyway.

In future I suggest you think more before you post.

Globaliser and Prospero like this.
  14. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah right.... hilarious this is .. I but I do suppose that I should have made it clear to whom I was referring but I had read the thread apparently unlike you and I knew Gaucho had been to LV before.

Big of you of all people to give me posting advice though :rolleyes:

15. CrazyMonkey
    Original Member

CrazyMonkey Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here in LAS we have seen an uptick in travel and with the new terminal opening next month and deals galore here, it is no surprise that INTL carriers are thinking adding capacity....for various reasons...