Ba silver or alaska miles?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by gmarchetti, Jan 10, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. gmarchetti

gmarchetti Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am about to fly out on BA. If I credited the trip to BA EC, I would make it to Silver afterwards and reach about 75k miles in my account. I need 100k for a return award in business to Europe.
    I am also Alaska MVP gold. If I credited to Alaska, I would get more miles from this trip, but my Alaska balance is almost 0 now, so I would not be any closer to my award. On the other hand, it would help me re-qualify next year and accumulate miles I can spend on several airlines.
    So, do I go for ba silver or for more miles?

2. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally I'd go for the BA Silver but it really depends on who you plan to fly on this and next year. BA Silver gets you One World status but if you aren't going to fly OW and will be on Alaska a bunch then maybe Alaska makes more sense.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless you want to continue your AS MVP Gold and anticipate having difficulty requalifying for it, I'd go with BA and get the oneworld status. OTOH, you could credit the flights to other oneworld programs such as AA, so I assume you''ve considered these options, although you seem to already be using BA.

daninstl likes this.
  4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is your normal flying pattern, both cash and award? What other miles do you have and how do you earn them?

daninstl likes this.
  5. gmarchetti

gmarchetti Silver Member

Status Points:
    I fly BA to Europe, both on paid and award trips. I fly Alaska domestically mostly on paid trips, living in Seattle. Normally I save up the miles to get BA business awards. In 2015, I anticipate that overseas trip will decrease drastically and domestic ones increase. I have already booked my awards to go on vacation this year (hence my almost 0 balance on Alaska). I have leftover miles on BA, US/American that I acquired mainly via credit card bonus.

daninstl likes this.
  6. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're anticipating an increase in domestic travel then I'd credit to AS for the sake of upgrades and retaining MVPG status. If you have AMEX MR points, transfer the # of points you need to your BA acct before 1/31/15 so you can take advantage of the 40% transfer bonus.

daninstl and traveltoomuch like this.
  7. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the logic of crediting to AS to get status for your upcoming domestic travels.

One thing in favor of crediting to BA: depending on your travel patterns, using Avios for domestic awards (e.g. on AS) can be very compelling. Avios redemptions on AS could be cheaper than using AS miles.

daninstl likes this.
  8. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like what Jimgotkp is thinking but my thoughts are if your BA travel is going to decrease you might want to grab that OW status before you lose the ability to if your domestic on Alaska increases a bunch then you will qualify for status or renewal there quickly anyway.

9. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    What value and benefit do you derive from the ba status?

10. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
  11. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess I was particularly interested in what level of ba/1w flying the OP expect3d to have and what of those would be utilized.

daninstl likes this.
  12. gmarchetti

gmarchetti Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well in the end i decided for Alaska. It is not clear when and where I'd be able to use the BA silver status this year, as my travel patterns are changing. On the other hand, I am most likely to benefit from MVP gold, so I'll credit to Alaska and transfer a few points from Amex to reach the required balance for my next BA award.
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

traveltoomuch and flyforawg like this.