BA or Aeroplan?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by richinaz, Mar 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. richinaz
    Original Member

richinaz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a Diners Club card with ~150,000 points on it. I don't use the card much anymore and would like to get rid of it sometime soon. Currently if I transfer them to BA I can get a 50% bonus on the transfer. I can also transfer them on a 1-1 basis to Aeroplan.

I don't have status on either airline. I'm more familiar with Star Alliance airlines than OneWorld. From what I've seen Aeroplan is pretty generous with its reward table (80K business ticket and 100K for first class from the US to parts of Europe). BA seems to have more fees and charges although being able to buy a WT+ ticket and using miles (25K) to upgrade to business (or whatever they call it) seems like a good deal.

So 150,000 miles on Aeroplan or 225,000 miles on BA?
    Obviously I could try waiting and see what other offers Diners Club will have later in the year.

2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aeroplan is one of the best redemption levels and has some of the most generous routes allowed as far as I'm aware. Add to that the lack of absurd BA taxes and fees and I think you've got a winner.

3. Chase
    Original Member

Chase Silver Member

Status Points:
    What kind of travel are you looking to do?

Generally, the business class rewards on Aeroplan require fewer miles than other airlines. It might be worth it to wait, you may be lucky enough to find a 25% bonus on Aeroplan transfers.