BA - New First LHR-DXB-LHR 777-300

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by CT-UK, Feb 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. CT-UK
    Original Member

CT-UK Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well this TR won't be new to those that read the BA board on FT but as we don't have a BA TR on here yet I thought I would start with my latest one.. It was written very much live suring the trip so you get my drunk words.

Looks like I will have to do it in multiple posts due the 5 pic rule...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a review of my first time in NF on board the brand new 777-300 Christmas Day. It will form part of a proper trip report ( that will gon in the right forum ;) ) when I have sobered up and have time but at the moment it is really just a review of the day, new cabin and a few arty farty pictures.
    I actually managed to type all of the bullet points as I went along so they are real time thoughts just with a bit of editing to correct my appalling spelling and grammar but I am pretty sure it will still fail some peoples high standards…

• Valet parking - very quick as only one there and they were expecting me, I wonder if I can get away with the crash damage from the other day…

• Check-in – Club area looked busy and first the busiest I have ever seen with but still only a 5 minute wait to served and a smile

• Security – A bit of a mess with no fast track on offer all lanes busy and took 10 minutes to get through. When I popped out to the shops later it was empty followed by a rush so it looks like it came in waves

• Lounge – Very quiet. Had a lovely toasted bacon sandwich washed down with 4 or 5 glasses of pink poo… no idea what it was but I enjoyed it. Finished off with a G&T, very disappointed only to have Gordons on offer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Noland, theBOAT, violist and 11 others like this.
  2. CT-UK
    Original Member

CT-UK Silver Member

Status Points:
    • T-50 went over to B gates and waited max 5 mins before boarding, Y and J looked very full. F had 6 people in I think

• Greeted at door but very friendly crew and shown to 1A in new F

• First impressions are nice, very nice but a little underwhelmed but not sure why. The side table is a lot smaller and you can easily loose stuff but in compensation the buddy seat area and foot area is a lot bigger. The storage cupboard is large (1A). I enjoy the lighting but not sure what the lamp is for and disappointed that the control of this also controls the blue lights in the window. It would be nice to have the lamp off but the lights on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Shampoo is great and very free flowing. All staff happy to work and very good.

[​IMG]

3. CT-UK
    Original Member

CT-UK Silver Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

• Overall cabin impression is good and calming if a bit gentlemen’s / new lap dance club…..

• I really don’t like the dark blue wall at the front of the cabin.

• Toilets at the back of the cabin and the feel small, not sure if they are but they don’t feel as nice as a 744 so I don’t plan on spending much time in them unless the poo gets to me.

• IFE not tested at this point but the screen does look good and a good size but… for me too far away and I actually find the screen in old F better as the field of view wasn’t filled with distractions……

• Plug socket great being US/EU/UK. USB also great for charging iPhone although photos don’t display but this really is nothing as I have my laptop. The charging is great

• The table is good and sturdy but feels a touch too high for me for typing, again nothing major. We shall see about this when food comes out.

• So far so good and I am only 1 hour in to the trip. At this rate I may beat a BB trip report in length.

• Disappointed that the footrest doesn’t work independently of the seat unlike old F. I have lowered the buddy seat and it is OK but not the same. I quite liked the upright position with legs raised but this can’t be achieved in the new seat.

• So to sum up at this early point in my flight, the cabin is nice but I think I actually prefer the old seat. I haven’t tried sleeping yet so this could all change. If the old seat and table could have the new IFE, Power USB and just look fresh again then I think I prefer it…… It shocks me to say this but apart from the wow factor of a new and fresh cabin and cool put gimmicky lighting it really is nothing to write home about. In fact I am going as far as to say at the point of writing this but 1.5 hours in to the flight I am rather bored of it already..

• Food- Well I looked at the menu and no starter inspires me so I had the chicken something main to start and the Beef as a main and OMG they were both fantastic. Washed down with wine both white and red followed by cheese. A fantastic meal was had. An Irish coffee has just been ordered and by my focus on the sky map I am bolloxed by Bucharest. I can also report that the new 777-W does bugger all for flatulence.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Travelman, bubb1, armagebedar and 4 others like this.
  4. CT-UK
    Original Member

CT-UK Silver Member

Status Points:
    • Just about to request the invisible CSD…. Only to ask for a well done for to praise the amazing purser on this flight.

• I may be getting boring now but I shall repeat. The seat is nice but I prefer the old seat but the service on this flight has probably been the best I have ever had and to top it off my Irish coffee had just arrived in a wine glass and looks the nuts. My god it tastes good as well! I have no idea what new coffee machines they have on these beasts but bugger me it blew the ... of me.

• OK I am now starting to soften up, the new f isn’t too bad….

• Just pulled the CSD to one side to ask for a compliments form form Paul the purser. Duly filled in as one of the best CC members I have ever had. I will also the BA.com/welldone.

• The mood lighting is growing on me or is it the drink and expecting a big breasted blonde to appear from behind the curtain wanting a tip?.....

5. CT-UK
    Original Member

CT-UK Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now for the return journey..

This is a quick write up and a few pictures from the return journey. As already promised I am going to do a full TR that will go in the TR forum with a proper right up and on the flight, hotels, and destination but for now you will just have to make do with the bullet point notes taken from the flight

• Check-in was a bit of a mess at DXB due to the 106 and delayed 104 going out within 40 minutes of each other that night although while the Y and J lines were very long I was the only one waiting when F opened up. I was pretty tired at this point so made no use of duty free or anything of interest in the lounge.

• Boarding started about 40 mins before the flight departure time and the initial call for those with kids got about 50% of the flight standing up. F and J were allowed to board at our leisure so off I went down the ramp. F and J went through door 1 and the rest I guess through 3?

• On boarding I was instantly offered Champagne and told there were only 2 of us in F tonight so I could sit where I wanted. I stuck with my 1A which was a bit of a mistake getting on early as everyone stared at you as they walked through but I managed to blank this out with the odd 4-5 glasses of Champagne I think.

• As soon as we were airborne I ordered some dinner of a steak and with stilton butter, I skipped the starter and went of cheese after. The amuse bouche was crap! IT was some very tough cold meat on very hard bread with some dressing that I had no clue about.

[​IMG]

For my main course I really wasn’t expecting much but the steak was fantastic and for all of those that say you can never get a good rare steak on board I disagree and if you look you can see it was cooked rather well. The mustard mash was also great but the bread rolls were really very bad, the worst bread I think I have ever had.
    Now if you are a veggie then don’t look ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• The cheese was shocking, maybe because it was so cold I couldn’t taste it, nothing like what I ate on the way out be it in presentation or taste. A real let down indeed. I washed it all down with an Irish coffee which knocked me for six ( maybe the champagne and red helped? ) While the cream sank pretty quickly it tasted just fine to me.

[​IMG]

• Now back to my impression of the new F seat….. I don’t like it as much as the old seat at all. While the new controls look like they offer a lot you have very little control over the seat and I hate not having the separate foot rest.
    [​IMG]

6. CT-UK
    Original Member

CT-UK Silver Member

Status Points:
    • Don’t get me started on how bright the cabin is either, spot lights by 1A and 1K and also at the back by the curtains give you the Guantanamo feel and having the blue mood lighting, lights at the power points, lights at the controls make the cabin very bright. The pic below shows you the cabin at its darkest.

[​IMG]

• The person who thought of putting the toilets of each cabin really can’t have thought for more than 2 seconds what would happen if you had a half full J cabin. With just 2 of us in F with me on the A side and the other gent on the K side you would have thought we would never have to wait for the loo but every time I went I had to wait or before landing there was a queue from J. I can’t blame them for using them but the crew made no effort to stop it. Also the new curtains don’t have a walk through bit in the middle so you either need to unclip them or duck.

• So to summarise again while the cabin does have the woo woo factor to look at the only benefit that it had for me over old F was the USB and power charger and that is it. If I could pick a rotation that had old F over new F then I would take it!

• Don’t get me wrong, while a lot of my comments are negative I know I am still lucky to be in F and will continue to sit it in I am just very disappointed in what they have delivered. On the surface it looks great and looks like it offers so much more and it does with new IFE etc but for me I just felt let down by it.

7. Junca
    Original Member

Junca Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the report. Better than I could do tipsy! Started with a laugh:

"written very much live suring the trip so you get my drunk words." [​IMG]

The seat looks great, but I appreciate your commentary and comparison of the details with the old seat (new or old I haven't tried these seats though).

8. cockpitvisit
    Original Member

cockpitvisit Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great report, thanks!

Is it possible to leave the seat with the table extended? There seems to be nowhere to swivel away the table.

Mmmm, love the steak pic!

9. work2fly
    Original Member

work2fly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great report - awesome pics!

10. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Beautiful photos! What kind of camera did you use?

(I ask that knowing full well that the eye behind the camera is a much bigger factor than the hardware being used).

Travelman likes this.
  11. JY1024
    Original Member

JY1024 Gold Member

Status Points:
    A great read - thanks for posting! :) I'll be on 4 BA F segments next month, so this is quite helpful should any of them actually be on NF.

12. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice report! Is the mustard mash what it sounds to be?

13. Coathanger
    Original Member

Coathanger Silver Member

Status Points:
    Outstanding photos!

My sole experience of BA F was LHR-EWR but at that time there was only one aircraft with New First. Might be a while before we see the beautiful new cabins to Australia.

14. CT-UK
    Original Member

CT-UK Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes you can, the table will slide foward and back so you can get out

15. CT-UK
    Original Member

CT-UK Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mash potato with a hint of mustard in :)

16. Great job CT-UK. Really liked the pictures! :D (These smileys are weird, eh?)

17. haydensydney
    Original Member

haydensydney Silver Member

Status Points:
  18. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stonking trip report. Mucho gusto.

19. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very good report. I did get a real chuckle about the free flowing "shampoo". (or is this an affectionate term for champagne and I am just clueless?)

20. Denali Flyer
    Original Member

Denali Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Trip report photographers take heed ~ You've just seen some of the most nicely composed photographs ever to grace a trip report! Great job with both the photos and the report. I'll look forward to all of your future trip reports.

Travelman, gba, Lalala and 2 others like this.
  21. cockpitvisit
    Original Member

cockpitvisit Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree, and he was drunk as he took them! [​IMG]

22. CT-UK
    Original Member

CT-UK Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK these aren't from the flight just a few that I like from the trip. I have way more but too many for here :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NYBanker, Junca, Magnus and 1 other person like this.
  23. EZEIZA
    Original Member

EZEIZA Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was a pleasure to read this report once again......the photos are the bee's knees.

24. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Love the HDR!

25. Magnus
    Original Member

Magnus Silver Member

Status Points:
    absolutely amazing photos. very nice indeed