BA miles on LAN - what did you book?

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by aitchly, Feb 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a child thread from Gleff's Love those awards thread.

I am leaning on using a few BA miles along with the SO's for a journey around South America. Please share successful bookings with BA miles on LAN including number of seats and if it was first or economy.

The more the stop-overs the merrier!

joesmoe and ben regelshore like this.
  2. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    After a LOT of research, I booked the following using my BA miles on LAN.

LAX to Buenos Aires to Mendoza to Santiago to Lima to LAX

Everything in Business Class (except to/from Mendoza, where only single cabin service is available). Total cost of miles for 2 tickets was 185,000 (I think, I will have to double check).

I had to book as 1 way from LAX/BA/MDZ and 1way from MDZ/SCE/LIMA/LAX; cant remember why, but it worked out better that way.

Total paid in taxes/fuel charges around $150 per ticket I think, need to double check that as well. That included the cost of booking the ticket over the phone with BA since this itinerary cant done online.

3. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting your itinerary. Please do confirm the miles, it should have been 160 unless you combined carriers. Did you do overnight stops in each city?

ben regelshore likes this.
  4. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did confirm, it was 185k miles because of the MDZ one-way issue. I think it was still well worth it.

Yes, between 3-4 nights stay in each stop.

5. 2muchentropy
    Original Member

2muchentropy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Booked SCL-IPC-LIM for 2 in J this summer, but looking on checkmytrip I noticed that LAN has cancelled/suspended all the IPC-LIM flights, thus we are royally s****ed as the flights between IPC and SCL are now extremely limited and the times aren't working. Otherwise it was a great redemption at 25k per. [​IMG]

6. JFK-SCL J 40,000 miles. Great deal.

joesmoe likes this.
  7. bsaced
    Original Member

bsaced Silver Member

Status Points:
    Damn. I always wanted to do the IPC trip, why did they suspend this? Is it advisable to jump on any IPC - SCL before they suspend that?

8. 2muchentropy
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Don't think they'll suspend IPC-SCL as it is an important Chilean domestic flight, plus it continues on to PPT...

ben regelshore and aitchly like this.
  9. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it possible this was an old article you noticed?

Looks like it is still there.

10. Huh? There's no way they'll suspend that.

11. 2muchentropy
    Original Member

Status Points:
    What do you mean, "article"?

12. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    ah, right, i did a random google search for flights in and out of IPC. High on the results list was an outdated article talking about LAN pulling out of the LIM-IPC route. Further digging indicated it was an old press report.

13. cityfishing
    Original Member

cityfishing Silver Member

Status Points:
    December 22, 2010 .- LAN Airlines reports that from 5 January until April 6, 2011, will operate the new route between Lima and Easter Island, two times a week, on Wednesdays and Sundays. After that date, the operation will resume regularly from January 22, 2012, operating all year round. The route from Santiago de Chile will remain unchanged.

ben regelshore and aitchly like this.
  14. cityfishing
    Original Member

Status Points:
  15. abcx
    Original Member

abcx Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've probably posted this routing on FT a 100 times now, but I'll post again because it was fantastic value. I did SFO-LIM-EZE(stop)-SCL(stop)-IPC(dest)-SCL(stop)-LIM-SFO. All in J for 80k miles. All free thanks to Chase. That's ~18k miles of flying.

No YQ, very low taxes. I think I paid $100 or so out of pocket. Fantastic places to visit and great redemption. LAN J is really nice - 180 lie flat and their movie selection was by far the best I've ever seen on a plane. Service is iffy and food is bland but tastes fresh (it's hard to beat LH/LX at food).

I highly recommend redeeming on LAN. We initially wanted to go to Patagonia but decided to go to Easter Island instead as we could not find award availability to El Calafate and Ushuaia out of AEP/Buenos Aires.

joesmoe, k_malm, Miles and 2 others like this.
  16. cityfishing
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Because the direct LIM-IPC flight is not available in July, my routing is JFK-SCL(stop)-IPC(dest)-SCL(stop)-LIM(stop)-SFO in J for 80K.

joesmoe, ben regelshore and aitchly like this.
  17. Your award was JFK-SCL-JFK or only JFK-SCL?

18. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting! How many tickets did you redeem (I am hoping to do 4 or 6)?

Miles and ben regelshore like this.
  19. cityfishing
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I redeemed BA miles for 3 business class tickets on LAN. I am traveling in high season and found pretty good availability. The BAEC site allowed me to search availability on partners easily.

20. Anglo Large Clawed Otter
    Original Member

Anglo Large Clawed Otter Gold Member

Status Points:
    For X-Mas/New Year's of 2010/11, I booked MIA-BOG-SCL-IPC-SCL-PUJ-MIA, with a stopover in SCL, all in J, for myself and my +1 (160,000mi. total). All of the flights were day flights, which made it possible to enjoy the wine and service up front.

Used the stopover to take advantage of cheap flights to PUQ on Sky Airline, then headed over to Torres del Paine National Park. Both Torres del Paine and Easter Island were superb.

21. Did 3 business class tickets for my sister, dad, and I.
    LAX-LIM-EZE then EZE-SCL-LAX all for 80k each and like $20 in taxes. Very fun trip :)

joesmoe, Miles and aitchly like this.
  22. Miles
    Original Member

Miles Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do these multi-stopover South American itineraries, using BA miles, have to be on only 1 airline's metal? I thought that was the rule, but now I'm not certain.

When I try for individual segments (e.g., MIA to EZE) on the BA site it shows me MIA to SCL on AA0957, then SCL to EZE on LA4643.

If I could use BA miles to fly one of these LIM-SCL-EZE routes out of DFW (or even AUStin :) on a combination of AA and LA metal I'd be very much happy :)

23. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately 1 airline. IMO, well worth the positioning flight.

Miles likes this.
  24. Miles
    Original Member

Miles Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dang, I was afraid that was the answer...still don't know why it showed me a two-airline itin.

The BA site is slow at showing partner availability, is there an alternate way?

25. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    The BA site is painful. You could search for the flights on LAN (or for a fee, use one of the award booking engines Expertflyer or KVS).

Miles likes this.