BA miles expiring

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by gtg007w, Jun 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. gtg007w

gtg007w Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

I've got some British Airways miles I got from last year, just below 5000 mi or so. I hardly fly BA or other alliance carriers, but I was wondering if I can transfer BA miles anywhere. I didn't see much redemption options (is there a miles store? I didn't see any links).

Any suggestions as to what I should do?

2. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    The are certainly ways to extend the life of them but with so few, probably not worth it. You can transfer AMEX MR points (with a bonus right now) and that will renew the cycle. You can buy miles from BA.

That said, if you had more, not flying BA would not be a great reason to let them die. They can be used on other members of their One World alliance like American. FWIW, I had about 1,500 Delta miles and it wasn't worth the effort so I let it slide.

3. Freddie Listo
    Original Member

Freddie Listo Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you want to keep them alive for awhile . . . do you ever shop at Tesco? If you do, get a Tesco Clubcard if you don't already have one. Register with your BAEC number and that should keep your miles alive.

"Earn 2 Tesco Clubcard points per £1 spent on selected Tesco products and services. For every 250 Clubcard points earned you can collect 500 BA Miles."

Additional information here: http://www.britishairways.com/travel/ecpartnrlocal/public/en_gb

4. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Um; well, the OP could go to this page and find the nearest Tesco to Atlanta.

There has been a previous thread about this, but there is a limit to what it's worth doing to keep 5,000 miles alive when there's no intention of seriously building up the balance to something useful.

5. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm in a similar situation, though they aren't expiring til next year, but I have 15500 BA miles from one flight I took back in 2007. Any thoughts?

6. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes.

But I suspect you want different thoughts from earlier thoughts, and I'm sorry I'm fresh out of fresh ones.

7. stan
    Original Member

stan Silver Member

Status Points:
    SAW THIS TODAY :

The Chase Ultimate Rewards program allows you to transfer points to various partners, including Continental, British Airways, Hyatt, Marriott, Priority Club, and Amtrak.
    But did you know that you can transfer Chase Ultimate Reward points from your account to airline and hotel partner accounts in someone else’s name and that the transfer will take place instantly?!

This will keep them alive ,question is is it worth keeping alive ?