BA Metal Award help: SFO - Paris/Berlin

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by adamhoolhorst, Sep 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. adamhoolhorst

adamhoolhorst Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am new to this game, so I appreciate the help in advance.

I have a business trip that just came up in Paris and Berlin, for a week each. I'd like to use my fiance's BA miles to fly her out, preferably in F. It's easy enough to get SFO - CDG and back, it's Berlin that seems to be the problem. Should I just not bother and get her to Berlin from Paris by train? I'l like to avoid the 1 partner award if possible.

Thanks

2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just to be clear, you want to get her SFO-CDG-TXL-SFO or SFO-CDG-TXL-CDG-SFO or some other variation?

3. adamhoolhorst

Status Points:
    Yup. I can't find CDG-TXL, only CDG-LHR-TXL. Can you route SFO-LHR-CDG(stop)-LHR-TXL(stop)-LHR-SFO?

4. oscietra
    Original Member

oscietra Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't *think* there are any oneworld carriers flying CDG-TXL.

BA would certainly only fly via London, and I think that would be too many connections for a single award (though may be wrong on that).

Suggest you book SFO-LHR-CDG (or ORY) and then TXL-LHR-SFO using the BA redemption (assuming there's availability), and then book the PAR-TXL on the train (one way plane trips in Europe are usually silly expensive and the trains are excellent, though book F and bring your own food!).

Make sure you keep the stopovers in London under 24hrs to eliminate the £250ish of APD tax charge.

The train might even be quite fun in an overnight sleeper:

http://www.eurorailways.com/products/night_trains/paris_to_berlin.htm

...though I'm sure there would be faster trains during the day.

5. adamhoolhorst

Status Points:
    This was what I was finding...wanted to make sure this was the best plan of action. I've seen so many creative folks here figure out inventive routings. Thanks for the help!

6. oscietra
    Original Member

oscietra Silver Member

Status Points:
    The only other option might be a combined AA/Openskies award in J, from SF to Paris.

As it's mostly overnight, F might be a bit of a waste, and spoiled by the fact you have to connect at LHR into Club Europe seating for her final hop.

Check out www.flyopenskies.com and if you can get a decent flight AA SFO-EWR it might work out nicely EWR-ORY, and you stay with decent size aircraft the whole journey without the need to connect in London.

7. adamhoolhorst

Status Points:
    Looks like there is a JL (AF) code share flight CDG-TXL that I found on expertflyer. Any way to make that work as a part of the routing? In fact, now I am looking to split this into 2 routes and end up in NY on the way back:
    SFO-CDG(stop)-TXL (if this code share is possible)
    then
    TXL-LHR-JFK

Is this possible?

8. KVS Tool

KVS Tool Z Representative

Status Points:
    No, you cannot use codeshares for award redemption purposes.