BA launches hand baggage only fare

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by uggboy, Feb 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || BA launches hand baggage only fare ||

It's a sign of our times. The intentions are clear.

TRAVELSIG and sobore like this.
  2. Franklybrit

Franklybrit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Love that they introduced this straight on the heels of the KLM baggage policy change, so either have some very quick programmers, or this has been a long time in the planning, and was just a shelved project, despite all their advertising that they are a full service airline.

Either way, there 'value calculator' isn't looking quite as rosy, especially as it now isn't even correct.

http://www.britishairways.com/trave...?source=MNVFAH2value_calculator&link=main_nav

uggboy likes this.
  3. EZEIZA
    Original Member

EZEIZA Silver Member

Status Points:
    If it means BA LGW can compete with the low cost airlines then fair enough but I fear it'll give out the wrong message about the BA short haul product.

Overall a bad move I think unless it's the start of some other agenda for BA at the airport. I wonder if CE at LGW will be the next to get the chop?

uggboy likes this.
  4. ukgooner
    Original Member

ukgooner Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually I think its quite clever. It depends how they advertise fares though. Clearly if they start advertising the hand baggage fare as 'headline', then its no different to anyone else.

However as a way of reflecting cost saving, why not offer a discount? with a little flash on an Ad that says you can save X with only hand baggage?

uggboy likes this.
  5. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't fly out of LGW so not up on all of the current happenings there but how is this not another marketing name to avoid saying we are charging for checked baggage? And how long before they go there? people accept the fuel surcharges so why not push a baggage fee next? extra money no technical fare increase in the she game of costs. Sure it's a hand baggage ticket or could be called "no checked bag fare" vs "checked bag fare" -

6. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now I feel stupid having booked an award ticket to Tunis. Sigh.

7. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't mind paying for checked baggage, but I sure hate the ancillary consequences of the race to get overhead bin space. Ugh.

It's alright if you have frequent flyer status and can board early, but if you're boarding with the non-status passengers, it creates a lot of stress.

I think airlines should really seriously reconsider this. Checked baggage makes for a much more painless experience on board. In fact, I'd rather airlines charged for cabin baggage (as long as it were modest) to encourage keeping stuff out of the cabin, to make sure those people that needed overhead bin space got it. There is no way I am checking my camera bag, given the value of its contents.

philatravelgirl likes this.
  8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points: