BA increases North America short hop redemptions by over 60%

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by newbluesea, Oct 28, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    BA intends to increase NA short hops awards by over 60% come Feb 2016.

Long haul redemptions already being totally useless.

Considering that for some (read ME) that the current short haul (mostly NA) award structure were really one of the few reasons to even acquire Avios I wont be bothered tot make any further attempts in increasing my current balance and will use the points I have only in the very limited cost effective circumstances still available.
    Not surprising however in light of all BA's other recent devaluations.:rolleyes:

Dear Mr S......
    We’re going to be making a change to the Executive Club pricing structure for shorter reward flights originating or terminating within the United States of America. From 2 February 2016, reward flights will start from 7,500 Avios, instead of 4,500 Avios, plus taxes, fees and carrier charges (“TFCs”) from $5.60 USD.

Only those reward flights that currently cost 4,500 Avios for a one way flight in Economy, 9,000 Avios for Business Class and 18,000 Avios for First Class plus TFCs will increase; to 7,500 Avios, 15,000 Avios and 30,000 Avios plus TFCs respectively. All other Avios reward flight pricing will remain the same as it is today.

If you would like to learn more about this change, simply click on the link below

Find out more →

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
    B1BomberVB, flyforawg and satman40 like this.
  2. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You know it's still a good deal, these miles are pretty easy to come by.

The nice thing about it is you can add family members and friends as long as they're your residence to your account.

The BA card has been a good card for me

B1BomberVB and newbluesea like this.
  3. akcae
    Original Member

akcae Silver Member

Status Points:
    BA seems to be on a mission to destroy ANY usefulness of its program. It seems to target those who love spending cash on premium long-haul fares, and redeeming Avios for economy + extortionist "fuel" surcharges.

4. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fair enough but I don't really think Avios are any easier to come by than any other airline miles and to a certain extent to the contrary.
    The household account feature if you are not redeeming long haul (which you really shouldnt be doing anyway) is really not that important if you are using the miles at their most efficient valuation ie short hops whether domestic or intra continents.
    In fact if that is way you want to go the HA affiliated cards are better.

satman40 and flyforawg like this.
  5. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone have a scenario where long haul BA is value add from a points perspective? After "fuel" surcharge, it always seems to me like I'd be better off just paying cash and collecting AA points.

Counsellor and satman40 like this.
  6. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many of us forget the 100,000 promotion BA had a few years ago, like the 100k AA Promo, we milked it to death.

It took me many years to get the first Million miles, today a million is there every year.

I can understand when candy bars were 3 cents, we did not have the 3 cents, today at a buck, no problem, I don't have anything smaller than a $20.

I will drop 9,000 for a short AA flight from the Midwest and smile,

BA is not a long haul for me, via LHR., BA has not always had a full surcharge.

I was on a flight this week with 107 empty seats, life is not always fair, and profit is not a dirty word, but job security...

B1BomberVB and vickers like this.
  7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't forgotten anything. :)
    Inadvertently you have described the situation from my perspective.
    Why would I get a BA card which requires a higher spend to get 100k as opposed to the comparable AA card (and lets not forget that Citi had five 100k AA cards no too long ago ...available all at once without having to do that ridiculous multiple browser stuff)

BA NA awards up to now have only been cost effective in terms of the miles spent for short single hop itineraries
    With the new changes even these are close to a wash in term of miles but without any the other benefits afforded by other affiliated cards.

Based in Tampa to fly even to DFW which currently costs at least 12k miles with only one connection in MIA will now cost a 15K as opposed to 12.5k on AA plus even non status AA card holders get one free checked bag.
    If one has to make multiple connections the Avois cost will become pretty ridiculous compared to every other carrier.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
    satman40 likes this.
  8. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only thing I can think of is if one is based in Brazil ...BA is prohibited by law to charge YQ on awards. (though they have been known to flout the rules by "billing" the awards in Mexico.)..

flyforawg and satman40 like this.
  9. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    BA had a 100k offer a few years ago, and the spend was less than 5k,

I try to protect my AA mikes and use them for International travel.

BA is just another source of miles revenue, from IND I can see many uses, and we did have a heads up for the Febuary increase...

Thank you BA for the good times, and we will use your service in the future...

flyforawg and newbluesea like this.
  10. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are also reports that on awards ex HKG, BA has been forced to significantly reduce the YQ by the local authorities but note this applies only from Hong Kong. No doubt considering their recent business practices they will attempt to find an underhand way of getting around it.:rolleyes:

In the case of the Brazil awards they have illegally charged some pax the YQ but when reported to the local authorities forced to back down.

So seems the decent use of BA awards for long haul in Brazil/HKG R/T:)

11. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    So its now 15K Avios miles for a round trip short haul vs. 25K for domestic carriers. Still a good deal, but the direction of the change does suck a bit.

newbluesea and B1BomberVB like this.
  12. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    People (like me) who live in non-AA-hub cities such as Charleston SC get hit hardest: The flight CHS to PHL/ CLT/ MIA will cost 7500 each way & so will the connecting flight onward! But CHS--DFW will remain at 7500 :) !

newbluesea likes this.
  13. ahappyelite

ahappyelite Silver Member

Status Points:
    Norwegian Air Shuttle is sorting this out. NY-Dublin $400, and then Ryanair $50 RT London or wherever, versus like $900 to $1,300 on BA....Avios is an INSULT to everyone....no wonder they give away so many "FREE" companion tix that are worthless when you add all the hidden surcharges and fees