BA from MSY to FCO

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by Travelmom4, Jan 20, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Travelmom4

Travelmom4 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not very experienced with booking on BA but was interested to read some blogs on buying WT+ seats and possibly upgrading to Club World using my miles (and even if that doesn't work out, I will be a tad more comfortable than in economy). I've been watching the BA website for a sale on WT+ and there is a BA sale ongoing but the prices don't seem great to me. Maybe my expectations are off?
    I'm looking at MSY to FCO and WT+ is pricing at $2300 on May 25 or 26 returning June 8 (MSY to DFW to LHR to FCO). Wondering if this is a good price or perhaps there is something about my search that is increasing the price? I am willing to be very flexible as to dates and routing. Any suggestions?

2. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I usually book BA WT+ and upgrade out of Philly. My last redemption to Venice was close to $2k so looking at that price high season it's what I would expect. did you look at the BA fare finder online? It shows the pricing for classes by month to see if it adds up.
    My next trip to AMS was pricing out same range

3. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is indeed a sale on, but the problem is that it does not cover your travel dates.

The low season in the sale is for outbound travel from 09JAN13 to 20MAR13 inclusive, and the shoulder season in the sale is for outbound travel from 08APR13 to 16MAY13 inclusive. For outbound travel from 17 May 2013 onwards, there is no sale fare at present.

The current sale fares will expire shortly - they have a "ticket by" date of 23 January 2013. Further sale fares might be filed after that, but there is no guarantee that any new sale fares will cover your travel dates. In fact, in the corresponding sale last year I believe that the sale fares never did cover the corresponding travel period last year.

It's not clear whether you know you can upgrade on your desired travel dates. If you can see award availability that allows you to upgrade on the long-haul sectors (and it's the same availability as for a pure redemption booking in the class being upgraded to), then you may want to apply the old saying about a bird in the hand, particularly if there is not much award availability now. However, if you're buying a WT+ ticket on a speculative basis and there is currently no award availability, then you may well want to wait for a few days to see what happens with sale fares later this week.

I haven't priced your specific itinerary, but one of the things that you will want to check is that you are being booked into T class on the long-haul sectors at that price. To find out, get a firm price quote for the itinerary, and then click on the link for the flight number. The pop-up should tell you what the "selling class" is.

4. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just to note that the sale fares expired and were not replaced.