BA Doesn't Know Its Partner's Names? ;)

Discussion in 'oneworld' started by DestinationDavid, Aug 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Nothing serious, just a little fun to poke at BA's expense.

I went to book an award ticket last night using some Avios only to find this information on the website:

[​IMG]

You'd think after all these years of partnership they'd know it's Japan Airlines, not Japanese Airlines. :D

And yes, I see the humor in starting a thread about a typo where the title has a typo, have no doubt. I have asked for the erros in the title to be fixed. :)

rwoman, anabolism and marcwint55 like this.
  2. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps they are simply unable to book flights on any Japanese Airlines, due to some conversion glitch between Yen and Pounds, so they just want you to be aware of that. ;)

marcwint55 likes this.
  3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Except BA doesn't partner with any other Japanese airline besides JAL. Plus they took the time to capitalize "Airline" which makes it a proper noun referring to a specific airline and not a general category of airlines. ;)

It's clearly a misspelling of Japan Airlines, not a general reference to any Japanese airline.

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    At least they know they have a partner, unlike many Delta agents who wouldn't know a partner if one smacked them in the face.

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just as an update to this random post I made, I tweet the picture to British Airways and they said they'd look into it. They recently updated the message to be more accurate :) :

Screen Shot 2012-09-06 at 4.30.01 PM.png

6. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I assumed Jenny & Curt knew that, hence the winky in their post (which I interpret as "You and I share the open secret that what I just said isn't true," as in "You could purchase a round-trip and throw away the return to save money, but that would be wrong and I am obligated to advise against it ;)." The wink indicates that what was just said isn't true, as the speaker is actually advising to do it.

However, I'm puzzled by your use of the winky in explaining why the ba.com text obviously was referring to JAL.

Regardless, it's a funny error on BA's part. Thanks for capturing and posting it.

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Without Jenny & Curt commenting, I have no idea what they meant by their comment. I took it as their polite way of saying they didn't think there was an error (which is common, I posted that picture elsewhere and got the same feedback saying I didn't understand what BA meant by it). So my response was also my attempt to politely say that I felt it was clearly an error. The smilies are buffers to say "friendly comment, not being aggressive". :)

Seeing it did make me laugh, and seeing BA update the message after I tweeted them makes it a bit funnier to me personally as well.

8. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    What he said.
    (We have Marshall McLuhan right here.)

anabolism likes this.
  9. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah, you interpreted the winky as the same as a smiley, understandable. I interpreted it as a wink. One of the risks of emoticons.

yeah.

10. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I loved that scene! haven't we all wanted to do that?

11. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ooops... ;)