BA Devaluation Strategy

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by Steven Schwartz, Apr 6, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay - we settled on a trip to Portugal next June, 2016. Want to use my BA Companion Certificate to fly First Class.

Big devaluation coming for FC seats - what would now cost 150,000 miles for the two of us looks like would end up being well over 200,000 if we book it this July - earliest we could book for June. A newsletter I receive suggests that a good alternative would be for me to book seats right now for February (seats plentiful) and then change the dates in July for our desired June flights. It claims it can be done easily and with no charge as long as the destinations are the same and the only change is the dates.

So does this sound reasonable and legit? If so, do you assume they would let me change dates without canceling and rebooking at the higher award rates?

Hope someone knowledgeable on Avios has the scoop on this. Many thanks.

daninstl and edekba like this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good idea; I was thinking the same thing for our trip to EU next year. I specifically put $30k on the BA card for the Comp Cert but then the deval came and was a little discouraged. Was reading and thinking of doing the same thing.

Hopefully someone has some good information regarding this.

daninstl likes this.
  3. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    People on FT seem to feel it is a valid strategy. I'll be booking something tomorrow.

daninstl, edekba and iolaire like this.
  4. A_Lee

A_Lee Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there a post here detailing this devaluation? I saw the changes that go into effect this month, but this is the first I've seen anyone mention a July devaluation. I have over a million miles and am really only interested in using them for FC seats, but most likely on CX or another OW carrier. Will this devaluation affect awards on partner airlines as well? I've just been sitting on my cache of miles, but if there's a devaluation coming, maybe better to spend them. September 2016, CX F R/T between HKG and JFK would be my most likely choice, so perhaps booking this early and then changing the dates when the time comes would be a good strategy.

daninstl likes this.
  5. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
  6. A_Lee

A_Lee Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah, I read the OP too fast and wasn't paying attention to what was being said about July and thought that was some additional devaluation. I think I'll just hold tight for now and simply redeem my miles when I want to on the flights I want, otherwise risk booking some award travel now that doesn't have availability come up later, or for some other reason end up cancelling or changing my plans.

daninstl likes this.
  7. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not crazy about booking with intention of changing later but it should work. Worst case scenario is you have to cancel and pay a slight fee.

8. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    The optimal word here is not "should" but "could" BA in terms of making changes is not high on my list of airlines which facilitate easy changes. Try getting your fees back often turns into a 6 month repetitive ordeal.

9. The Saint
    Original Member

The Saint Silver Member

Status Points:
    The only issue I foresee is whether moving the outbound would trigger a reprice of the ticket. That would normally be the case with a revenue ticket. Have no experience with redemption tickets however.

10. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    True but many times when you book that far out the airlines will make minor schedule adjustments which can provide a free opt-out. Say the change the flight from 8am to 9am you can just call and tell them it won't work and cancel it (usually for no fee). I agree that getting your money or Avios back can take awhile in some cases.

newbluesea likes this.
  11. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree I was the beneficiary of AA flight number only change (date and time was exactly the same) which was booked using Avios,which allowed me to change my outbound MIA/SJO to two days earlier. :)

daninstl likes this.
  12. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, redeem now and lock it in. Fight the Nigels and Nigellas when it comes time to change. I need to do the same although not for grandiose F itins, just BA metal Y redemptions for LIN and HEL.

13. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    From where?

14. redtailshark

Status Points:
    From the lair of the Dilberts (Waterworld) and their remaining Northern enclave (EDI). I will say this for BA, at least they often operate a 763 into EDI and there are plenty of Avios seats on this route.

15. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, I did it. I booked for February and will wait until July to change this reservation. I'll keep y'all posted! Wish me luck.

brucewil likes this.
  16. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good luck. We just booked 3 weeks in Aust/NZ for Feb/Mar 2016. Not BA Tho.

17. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Outstanding Bruce! As you probably remember, we were there in December. Feel free to PM me if you want to either write or speak on the phone. Lots of things to share and you have an absolutely incredible trip ahead of you. And bring a great camera! I just finished helping a friend books flights - he leaves for Australia Feb 15th or so and returns from NZ on March 7. Hope you will contact me.

18. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    Will do. I'm off tmw. Will pm you

daninstl likes this.
  19. redtailshark

Status Points:
    Just booked for HEL at old rates. The new calendar shows the required date will be PEAK so it won't be lower Avios cost even though it originates at LHR. Still can't book for LIN or LIS, because my travel dates are not finally fixed. Looks like I'll have early experience of the new Avios system soon.

daninstl likes this.
  20. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I called in yesterday to book our flights & a short haul. Waited for at least an hour each time. Spoke with the agent and he noticed a huge surge in calls.

redtailshark and daninstl like this.
  21. redtailshark

Status Points:
    Wow! :eek: So, I find an actual reduction using the new system. LHR-HEL offpeak in Y is now 6500 Avios instead of 7500 and although the actual dates I needed above are now classified as peak, and are not even available at all today using Avios, the fact that some dates are available for fewer Avios is remarkable in this age of constant devaluations. They're not all in mid-February either. CE is available on this route for 12500 instead of 15000 as well. Not that CE is worth much of a premium, but anyway, it's consistent.

Dilbertian though BA often is, these facts are worth acknowledgement. Because in this limited way, it is an actual enhancement. Without the Deltified stars of irony.