BA /CX award change rumors

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by smh88, Sep 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. smh88

smh88 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone have a heads up on the future of BA award changes? I have stocked up on BA miles thru MR and use a RT every 6 weeks from LAX to HKG on CX in F.The reason for transering all of the miles from MR to BA was to use them for North America to Asia travel in F. The 75k is a great value and i usually can get what i need although sometimes i have to wait until the last day or 2 to clear. If there is going to be a change maybe i would book 4 or 5 future dates and then change them once i know the exact dates i will travel. My problem is i usually only know my travel dates a couple of weeks in advance and can't book firm travel in advance. When miles and more made a change last year i was able to lock up 4 future trips @ 130k in F from Lax to Zur and eventually just changed the dates once i knew when i would be travelling. Thx.

jbcarioca and NYBanker like this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're smart to try and book in advance. The changes are effective mid-November, so you have a bit of time to see what they do, and they say you'll have at least some time once they announce all changes prior to their effectiveness.

What isn't clear is if date changes to tickets issued before the price change will require the higher price. You should ask BA on twitter, they're pretty responsive.

jbcarioca, Audy_KTUH and JohnDeere19 like this.
  3. Euan
    Original Member

Euan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anything ticketed before the changes will remain unchanged - just as they won't ask for the any additional miles, if you book LHR-NYC (where there is a 20% reduction) they won't refund any miles.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. AtoZ

AtoZ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Where is the new award structure for partners, e.g. CX, JL?
    Why is BA holding out?
    IMHO, a 3 month period honoring the old award structure is appropriate!

Quasiconvexity and jbcarioca like this.
  5. Euan
    Original Member

Euan Silver Member

Status Points:
    The new award structure for partners has yet to be released.

As to why BA have not released it is anyone's guess - they have certainly been asked on various forums, via twitter, etc for information but have not been forthcoming.

My guess as to why it's not been released - it won't please too many people as a result of the new distance based redemption model.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not entirely true. The BA award and single partner award will have the same award structure after the change. They have released the chart for LHR routes already, just not others

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. The Saint
    Original Member

The Saint Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is entirely speculation.

Globaliser likes this.
  8. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    no it is a fact provided by BA rep on FT

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17035794-post264.html

9. Euan
    Original Member

Euan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Apologies, that is what I meant, the award charts have only be released for ex-UK.

10. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Plenty of people know details of the program. BAEC shared details (albeit with the caveat that they could change) with the BA forum moderators on Flyertalk -- but those moderators signed non-disclosure agreements, so they aren't talking. So they're able to act on the information for themselves. Presumably BA was trying to get some advocates/blunt criticism. But I believe much has been shared in-person because several people, who aren't themselves speaking, seem to or claim to know details.

Bob Smolinsky likes this.
  11. Euan
    Original Member

Euan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fully agree, there will be number of people probably know some of the details (certainly what is yet to come) and some have stated this but none, from what I've read but I could easily have missed it in the pages and pages of comments, have given any indication that they know the redemption levels ex-US.

Edit - whilst I am UK based and therefor know the new redemption levels I still think it's poor form of BA not to release the new award charts prior to Nov 16 (and I don't mean just the day before). I struggle to find a valid reason for them not to do so.

12. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    It's genuinely evil.

They're taunting us. They tell us they're changing but won't tell us to what. It's dishonest. Members save their points, for years even, and then will have the rug pulled out from under them without notice. It's bait and switch. Genuinely dishonest IMHO. :( :mad:

Quasiconvexity and dkelly1110 like this.
  13. Euan
    Original Member

Euan Silver Member

Status Points:
    It would actually be fairer if they announced all the new redemption award levels on 16 November.

While people wouldn't be happy about the new levels (if they rise) at least the frequent fliers and more knowledge air miles collectors (Think FT, MP, etc) wouldn't sit for 2 months trying to figure out how to use their miles before there is potentially a big de-valuation.

14. The Saint
    Original Member

The Saint Silver Member

Status Points:
    Deploying hysterical hyperbole hardly assists your argument. The facts remain. No announcement has been made about the ex-US rates. But if there is a change, it is a change that BA is entitled to make under the terms of the Executive Club scheme. People who believe that they are guaranteed particular redemption rates are deluding themselves. The "bait and switch" rallying call (so often followed by a call to the arms of a class action) loses its dramatic effect when it is so often repeated. You don't even know, if there is to be a change in redemption rates, when it is going to come into effect. So do try to calm down and get a bit of perspective.

Globaliser likes this.
  15. The Saint
    Original Member

The Saint Silver Member

Status Points:
  16. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I am not talking about class actions. And I am not saying that British Airways Executive Club isn't legally entitled to make changes to the program. I am saying what I have long said about all programs and communicated consistently. That loyalty programs absolutely degrade trust through tactics where they offer their members a value proposition and then change the terms without clear notice. It is a poor, poor practice. It is not my claim that it is an illegal one. Very big difference.

I do believe that significant changes without notice are underhanded, and I do cast moral judgment, I stand by the fact that I consider it to be evil. Even if it isn't illegal (and I do not believe it should be illegal).

Bluto and ChicagoEric like this.
  17. Prospero
    Original Member

Prospero Silver Member

Status Points:
    A statement that is as dramatic as it is untrue. Shame on you, Gary

18. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    which part says ex-UK? They said the grid that they will publish at launch. The only grid that has published so far is for ex-UK bookings. So the grid published at launch are for the rest of the world. And even if it applies to ex-UK, there's no partner rewards at ex-UK?

The key point is they will shared the same award structure and part of the grid has been published.

19. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just redeem and for the worst case, you can redeposit the points (well unless that change that too lol)

20. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    No offense to you intended, Prospero.

What I should have said is that they could act on it. Which isn't a criticism of those who received information, it's a criticism of British Airways for putting people in that differential position.

It's a moral conundrum for which I fault BA.

21. Primula
    Original Member

Primula Silver Member

Status Points:
    What a bunch of crap and scaremongering from people who should know better. Calling airlines evil - based on the fact that something may happen, but we don't actually know what that something is, taking a pop at the mods on FT, (and I don't think the founders of MP are in any position to try to claim the moral high ground about knowing confidential information and using them for their own advantage - or indeed complaining about significant changes without notice - I guess that only applies to other companies?!). Nice behaviour to emulate and a high standard of discussion on this thread :rolleyes:

A dislike button has never been more needed!

22. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    1) I have always said that changing major components about a program without significant notice is evil, regardless of what program, I called out Marriott Rewards over the weekend for pulling their all-inclusive rewards without notice, for instance. This is probably the single biggest complaint I have about loyalty programs. And it's no different that I shout loudly from the rooftops when BA does it -- they say they're making changes but won't tell folks the full details until they're actually putting them into effect. The salient point here is that members build up points for years and follow the rules of a program for years, spending their money, on the basis of promises made.

2) And I further criticized BA for reaching out to some people they deemed influential, sharing the details with them, and having those individuals sign nondisclosure agreements.

I do think this is a terrible thing for BA to do. Dislike my saying so all you want.

Bluto, Whatwasthat... and ChicagoEric like this.
  23. nyc6035

nyc6035 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What do folks think of the language of the current Executive Club T&Cs, Section 25:

British Airways may, from time to time, change the mileage currency used by the Executive Club either in whole or in relation to any country or region. British Airways will use its reasonable endeavours to give at least six months notice to Members of any such changes.

Do you interprete it that they would provide reasonable efforts to provide 6 months notice prior to changing the amount of miles required for an award?

What would be the reaction if they didn't follow this T&C?

24. The Saint
    Original Member

The Saint Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's a ridiculous objection. What an earth is wrong with market testing some of the proposed changes with a select group? The NDA is an obviously necessary safeguard which any company would deploy as a matter of simple prudence.

No. They have given notice of the change of BA Miles to Avios, but this is only a change of nomenclature. Changing redemption rates is not covered by this provision. It is covered by Clause 26:

Globaliser likes this.
  25. Euan
    Original Member

Euan Silver Member

Status Points:
    In many instances I would agree that people spend years collecting miles, following the rules, etc but would also argue that someone collecting for years must be aware that devaluation is possible.

That said, I wonder how many North American members of the BAEC are sitting on 100k miles thanks to Chase - something which did not require years of collecting air miles.