BA club world redemption in May/June not available?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by seaflyer, Mar 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. seaflyer

seaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    This may have been discussed in another thread, although I'm at a loss in finding it here or TPG's BA posts at the moment. Apologies if this is the case.

I'm trying to book 2 RT reward tickets in club at the end of may/beginning of june SEA-LHR for 50,000 avios each and the BA website is showing no reward availability for club or first class at all in May or June, but there are paid seats available. Does BA hold reward tickets until closer to the date of departure or are these dates truly not available to redeem using avios?

This might also be a moot point as these tickets are intended for my folks, who have already have bought class N tickets and I don't think these are upgradeable or refundable, so they may be stuck with what they have? Is there anything that I can do to help them out?

2. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi there, in my experience with BA redemptions they are available early on they don't release later. (I do PHL-LHR and beyond). The BA tool always lists the number of seats left on each flight that's a feature that I like.
    The problem with May/June is the Jubilee celebrations (Starting June 3rd with bank holidays on the 4th and 5th) and a host of other events in addition to normal tourism. I'd suggest looking at other cities and combinations for your dates (maybe SFO or other west coast city you can get to) or using a AA partner airline option. maybe try to get to Paris instead using the OpenSkies product from New York one way, enjoy Paris the take train to London with a return to SEA on BA or partner one way. OneWorld allows one way awards so you can split carriers. When I can't find a straight CW award, I book world traveller plus (cash) and upgrade to CW for 25k online
    hope this helps
    Cheers
    Sue

seaflyer likes this.
  3. seaflyer

seaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks very much Sue for this helpful info! I suspected as much with the Queen's Jubilee and the Olympics that follow. Ideally, they would actually like to return on June 3rd to avoid the Jubilee madness. Good to know that I shouldn't hold out for seats that might become available in the next couple of months and that I should look at different routings. While my parents would probably prefer a direct flight to LHR, they might be convinced to take a couple of stopovers if it means they can fly club world.

4. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    With BA, you'll need to stick to a single airline or the price in avios will jump up dramatically. Also, they now price as segments so if you add a connection rather than direct, you'll have to pay for each segment individually.

I'd say just keep an eye out and hope the direct BA flights open up.

seaflyer likes this.