BA CC strike thread

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by Speedbird 001, Feb 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Here is the latest from Duncan Holley

CT-UK likes this.
  2. The Saint
    Original Member

The Saint Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not for this passenger it doesn't. I regard the threat of strikes as a busted flush. I have not altered either my travelling or future bookings on the strength of the repeated (yet incompetent) ballots. I also have full confidence that, if they finally get round to having a strike, the disruption I would suffer would be minimal. Paper tigers. Can you hear their roar? Thought not.

vla, Prospero, Swanhunter and 6 others like this.
  3. It does not have much effect on me either.
    In fact how BA handled my previous strike-affected flights (I have had quite a few) has had the opposite effect - I trust BA more to look after me than I ever have done. BASSA can call for ballots, strikes etc all they like and it will still not deter me from booking BA. Sure, I may go on a BA flight 12-18 hours earlier than I normally would have, but still no loss to BA.

However, we are probably a minority here. We know fairly well how the system works, we have the resources that we can deploy to manage the situation if necessary, and we also have seen how little effect the strike had on previous occasions. I also generally have the luxury of time to be able to be able to be delayed for up to 12-18 hours without substantial effects on my travel or work schedule as I can work effectively anywhere.

For occasional travellers who do not know how BA handled the previous strikes and how BA manages to operate a substantial number of flights, it may well have a 'substantial, perceived detrimental effect' and that, I believe, would be what BASSA would be hoping to leverage. If I did not have the prior knowledge gained through a lot of travelling and having had a lot of flights being affected by strike, I may have less confidence to book BA. Neither is any of my flight a once-a-year holiday flight that I saved up hard for, reducing the impact of a loss of half a day or so that I may well incur even if I am rerouted by BA on another carrier or another BA flight on the day, or worse still, to the day before or the day after.

A sad situation for BA though because it would have an effect on them, and also I feel sad for the cabin crew some of whom may well be misled by so-called BASSA leaders possibly being self-serving greedy characters than truly acting in the interest of those they purport to represent.

4. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    I clicked the "Translate This Page" button in the bottom left hand corner of the MilePoint page. This was a great idea. It returned this:

"I'll thkweam and I'll thkweam and I'll thkweam till I'm thick; and then you'll be thowwy!"

SLF, vla, Shuttle-Bored and 7 others like this.
  5. oscietra
    Original Member

oscietra Silver Member

Status Points:
    We should change the title of this thread.

It's not BA Cabin Crew who are striking, it's BASSA/Unite members who are striking, and those who voted for a strike form only a small minority of Cabin Crew.

Holley is barking mad.

Phobia, CT-UK and alex0683de like this.
  6. CT-UK
    Original Member

CT-UK Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think I need to create a website call BA PAX Still Flying so that every time DH writes his rubbish we can respond saying he is full of crap and ivite him to comment. I better not post after 7pm though :)

Phobia likes this.
  7. Your website will be slagged off by BASSA on their forum...

"its a website WW has put together, I know this as a friend of a friend did the design for it....he also said WW is a horrible man"

"What a load of rubbish, I know 1000's of my friends who no longer fly with BA due to the threat of strikes"

Also remember to get the co.uk and the .com version, otherwise BASSA may set up a website with the other address, a la PCC.

Shuttle-Bored and Primula like this.
  8. Primula
    Original Member

Primula Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know, I think the rule would be to only post after 7 pm :D

Disco Volante and Phobia like this.
  9. The BASSA forum are getting very excited about the fact the RAF are going to lay off pilots, and that these pilots will join BA and erode the T and C's of the BA pilots.

"What goes around comes around...." etc

10. CT-UK
    Original Member

CT-UK Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeh because the RAF pilots have loads of commercial hours and type rating....

11. TuxTraveller
    Original Member

TuxTraveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely agree!!

I've not altered my BA flying, actually in the last year I reduce my ST travel and BA therefore got a larger proportion of my flying in 2010. Also I've been booking my family on BA more this year already than in previous years so I'm actually an example of the opposite of what BASSA seem to suggest.

I wish they'd just leave if they don't like it!! It's really a shame that this small minority of CC ruin the reputation of the rest! [​IMG]

12. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've flown out of LGW and LCY instead of LHR but I have not deserted BA during strikes real nor threatened.

13. They're trainees though, aren't they? If that is the case, it is not like they have 000's of hours on A320 (or even A36*).

*that's Beech Bonanza to those of you who don't like/not familiar with light aircraft.

14. Swanhunter
    Original Member

Swanhunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    As others have said, BASSA have failed to realise that for BA's core passengers the strikes are now a total non issue. More people in our office complain about crap food in Club than any perceived risk of disruption.

Did Holley really try and draw an analogy between BA and Egypt? The man is an arse.

TRAVELSIG, TuxTraveller, IMH and 4 others like this.
  15. Primula
    Original Member

Primula Silver Member

Status Points:
    The most effective strike is always the first one. When the first one didn't have the effect they wanted, they'd lost already. It's just taking a very long time for them to realise that :(

Shuttle-Bored and Phobia like this.
  16. Shuttle-Bored
    Original Member

Shuttle-Bored Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've very much given up bothering about whether a BA strike might or might not disrupt my travel plans. Long-haul, they handled our cancellation last year without any issue, and short-haul there are reasonably sufficient options.

BASSA's impact is definitely tailing off with every pronunciation from Drunken Folley... [​IMG]

17. TuxTraveller
    Original Member

TuxTraveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    It'll probably take at least another 6 months for them to realise this though.. They'll keep failing to ballot their members properly, they'll be told to redo, they'll come out with the same repeated retoric and the loop continues.. hopefully at some point their members will realise their union leaders are doing a terrible job and not achieving anything positive and will dump them!

Much better for employees to be directly engaged with their employer than to hide behind a union, that's my view and seems to work well in many other industries..

18. As a little distraction, it seems certain union members over on PPrune, have been emailing BASSA to get access to the accounts, to find out exactly where their subs money has gone...

So select from below what you think has happened

1) DH has supplied said accounts and everything is ship shape.

or

2) DH has effectively told the person asking to see the accounts to foxtrot oscar

Answers on a postcard please.....

Primula likes this.
  19. Primula
    Original Member

Primula Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know that DH might not have a clue (given past pronouncements) about the legal aspects of being a union officer... but that's appalling.

You can complain if your union does not allow you to inspect the finances of your trade union.. that's skating onto very thin ice to refuse it. I could see a complaint to the Certification Officer resulting...
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/TradeUnions/Tradeunionmembership/DG_179428

There isn't a specific BASSA return on the Certification Officer website, only a unified Unite one. From this, we do discover that Liz Malone claimed £223 in lost wages as a result of union activities.

20. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
  21. Kevincm
    Original Member

Kevincm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also on the BBC web site. Here we go again.... [​IMG]

22. Raffles
    Original Member

Raffles Silver Member

Status Points:
    We should take bets over what will be declared illegal about this ballot!

Although, to be honest, if I was BA I would tempted to just let them get on with it and have the strike fizzle out quite quickly. Pushing it back by legal means may be counter productive for those people who do avoid booking with BA due to strike threats.

IMH and Disco Volante like this.

23. The latest off the BASSA site

24. Primula
    Original Member

Primula Silver Member

Status Points:
    Every time I see what they are complaining about, there are more of them. It reminds me of Monty Python!

25. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Following the latest ballot results, the press has again picked up on the "strike could ruin Easter plans..." conversation. Let's hope this thing is solved once and for all soon.