BA cabin crew starting to use iPads

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by thefitworldtraveler, Aug 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. thefitworldtraveler
    Original Member

thefitworldtraveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just saw this article via a mac blog I follow, I was wondering if any other airlines have started to implement the iPad for the cabin crew.

http://press.ba.com/?p=1881

MSPeconomist likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would they just use them as stand-alone substitutes for paper and pencil, establish a secure LAN on board, or access the internet through in-flight wifi and use some internal proprietary website to record dinner orders, etc. in a way that all FAs on the flight could access?

3. dgreen12
    Original Member

dgreen12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like more than just a pencil/paper substitute, which is cool. Could easily have info downloaded before the flight but would be even more impressive if it was connected to an internal database that could be accessed while in-flight.

Having in-flight, real-time access to an internal database would also make it easier to keep notes on pax behavior --- a potential blessing and curse all rolled into one.

I had read that there was a UA/CO FA that was using an app on his iPad that was a paper/pencil substitute --- but he was doing it on his own and it wasn't supported by the airline.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    AFAIK BA planes don't generally have in-flight WiFi, do they? It couldn't be used over water unless the system transmitted through satellite phone like technology, which would be very expensive and could seriously interfere with navigation and communication systems on the aircraft. They also IIRC couldn't use ordinary WiFi under 10,000 feet for safety (?).

Can iPads be made into a local network easily and securely?