BA Business Award via AA

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by PhoenixFF, Jun 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. PhoenixFF
    Original Member

PhoenixFF Active Member

Status Points:
    I generally seek AA business seats from US to carribean...these usually cost me 60K miles on AA...I now have 100K BA miles from promo....

If I book these AA business class seats with BA miles will they also cost me 60K miles...I have never booked award seats with BA miles before..

The reason I ask is because I am thinking of topping of my BA account with MR point transfer to have 120K BA miles...enough for 2 tickets...
    Thanks in advance....

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure what question you're trying to ask, but before doing anything or making plans, you should try to make some dummy bookings using BA miles to check typical availability of (two?) business class seats on the routes you want. Then, if you don't envision getting more BA miles within the next year or two (when do yours expire?), a transfer to achieve awards you want would seem to make sense.

However, if you're an AA elite, some things you might want to investigate/consider include potential lower availability using BA miles, BA call center fees to book or make changes, potential but unlikely luggage fees (in business class, only if you check really a lot) or weight restrictions, change fees, IFC lounge access if applicable, IROPs treatment not as AA elite? Some of your status benefits will carry over to a BA award ticket on AA, many won't matter because you won't be travelling in coach, but there might be some surprises when your AA FF number isn't attached to your ticket.

3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Using British Airways miles, you will pay the mileage cost based on the British Airways award chart. Not the price that American charges for the flights.

You don't have to transfer miles prior to making your booking. Amex points transfer instantly to British Airways. Call up BA Executive Club, have them set up the reservation (tell them you don't have enough points in your account but you'll transfer them in from Amex once the reservation is set up). Once everything is good to go, and while still on the phone with the agent, go to membershiprewards.com to make the transfer. The agent will immediately see the points post and can go ahead and issue tickets.

4. PhoenixFF
    Original Member

PhoenixFF Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks gleff....I checked the BA award chart for "single one world partner" and it looks like 70K miles for business from North America to Carribean....Does this seem right?....10K more then AA

gleff likes this.
  5. MJLouise

MJLouise Member

Status Points:
    Yes 70K sounds right, it's 35K for coach and they double that for 70K in biz. Do note that AmEx is running a 50% promo through 7/31 on MR transfers to BA, if that takes the sting out of it a little. But like Gary says, hoard your MR points until you have the bird in hand (rezzie made except for spending the miles).

travelinmike33 and gleff like this.