BA award ticket

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by dogcrazy, May 31, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. dogcrazy
    Original Member

dogcrazy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I redeemed my BA miles for a CX award ticket.

Will BA charge any fee if I change my travel date ?

2. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, they will charge you a fee for travel date changes. It is $70 per person.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/ecservicefeestbl/public/en_gb?gsLink=searchResults

I've booked tickets for folks which I've later had to cancelled. Try asking the phone rep to charge you the $20 fee since you can't make the change online.

If unsuccessful, you would need to hang-up and call back again, but I've successfully paid $20 instead of $70 per change.

3. buschoi
    Original Member

buschoi Gold Member

Status Points:
    It actually depends. If you book your flights on ba.com, then you may be able to by-pass the agent and change the date/time on ba.com for free. Just log into your ba.com account and see if your trip is changeable online. If you have a more complex itinerary (like a stopover) and you called the award desk to issue your original ticket, then you will most likely need to call the award desk and cough up the change fee.

I am in the same boat as you.

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    And FWIW I have never been charged a telephone booking fee for BA awards, even BA metal, I just tell the agent I couldn't book online (and with partners they've always just assumed this was the case).

5. buschoi
    Original Member

buschoi Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is comforting to know. BA charged me a telephone booking fee for an award from YVR/LAX to NRT with a stopover in HKG. I just think it was a good enough value and did not put up with it.

I have recently read posts about the BA agents not waiving the telephone change fee even though the change cannot be made on ba.com. I will need to do that soon... just not now until I find award availability.

6. dogcrazy
    Original Member

dogcrazy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it possible to redeem BA miles ONLINE for Cathay Pacific flight ?

I used to call BA to redeem the miles and paid the telephone booking fee.

Just wondering whether I can do it ONLINE and save some fee.

7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yes... sometiems. BA.com isn't great, and it only sometimes comes up with the flights you want. BA phone agents will usually waive the phone booking fee when booking a partner award and you tell them that the website wouldn't book it, at least in my experience.

8. dogcrazy
    Original Member

dogcrazy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I tried to book a CX award flight ONLINE on BA.com, it does not show me any availability.
    But when I call AA, the AA agent can locate availability for this CX award flight.

Is this possible ?

ie. AA miles give me more choice on CX award flight.
    Some CX award seats will show up in AA but not in BA system ? Anyone has the answer, pls help.
    Thanks.

9. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you trying to use BA miles? If so, try calling up BA and see if their phone agents can find the seat.

10. dogcrazy
    Original Member

dogcrazy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes. I am using BA miles.

I can locate the CX award seat on AA (using AA miles).
    but when I call BA to try to book the same award seat (using BA miles), the BA agent
    can not find that CX award seat.

11. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you been able to get out of a change fee as well, because the change can't be made online? I

've never tried that, but have got the regular booking fee waived (though I have had to call back a few times!).

12. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Never argued with a change fee, I don't think I'd hang up and call back to get the booking fee waived since most of the time when I call Executive Club (non-elite #), the hold time is > 20 minutes.

13. jhflau11
    Original Member

jhflau11 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The points guy has a great series on booking on the BA site. Here's the post on One World rewards:
    http://thepointsguy.com/2011/04/how...s-post-3-understanding-the-oneworld-alliance/

Another on How to Work Around Britishairways.com Disfunctionality
    http://thepointsguy.com/2011/07/how-to-work-around-britishairways-com-disfunctionality/

I had the problem above searching for CX rewards on BA.com. Tried again the next day and it was working.