BA Avios to book AA Savers TATL?

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by blackjack-21, Apr 12, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm guessing the answer is a definate NO, but on the far out chance that it may be possible, could I use BA Avios miles to book an AA Saver award from JFK/ORD to LHR? I know BA miles work for U.S. domestic flights on AA, but since BA doesn't offer a Saver award on its mileage scheme, could I still use their miles to book an AA TATL on the same routing as BA, but on AA to save on the fuel surcharge a bit and use less mileage then BA requires, 40,000 rather then BA's 60,000 ? Reason for asking is being here in the frozen north woods, I can't transfer my Membership Rewards points to AA, but can do so at a 1:1 ratio to BA, so if the answer is in the affirmative I'd be able to save 20,000 (x2) for my wife and me to travel to the UK in the fall. And booking the AA flight as a BA codeshare with my Avios would still require 60,000, so no help that way.

Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
    eponymous_coward likes this.
  2. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you book using Avios, you pay the Avios price charged by BAEC (both for miles and the cash component). This has no direct relationship with the price that would be charged by AA for the same flight.

BAEC charges 20,000 Avios each way for an economy award from JFK-LHR or ORD-LHR, plus BAEC's cash component. You will have to price this up to find out how much the cash component will be; it won't have any direct relationship to what AA would charge for the same flight.

If you want to book an AA flight using Avios, the flight must have inventory that's also available to AA members at the MileSAAver rate. In other words, if (and only if) the AA flight shows MileSAAver availability, that can be booked through BAEC using Avios.

blackjack-21 likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It must be available to partners, not just AA members. Not all airlines publish identical inventory to both.

blackjack-21 likes this.
  4. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to both of you for your quick replies.

Globaliser, your first sentence has me a bit confused though (not hard to do in my case).
    "If you book using Avios, you pay the Avios price charged by BAEC (both for miles and the cash component). This has no direct relationship with the price that would be charged by AA for the same flight."

Do you mean that if I used Avios to book a 40,000 mile AA SAAver award for an AA TATL, I would still be charged the BAEC fuel surcharges and other BA's taxes and fees even for booking those AA flights on AA metal, even with AA's slightly lower fees if booked directly with them ?

5. David
    Original Member

David Silver Member

Status Points:
    The point in this case though (and in answer to the question) is that in AA from BAEC terms this has been consistently found to be the same - I believe.

blackjack-21 likes this.
  6. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't believe BA charges fuel surcharges on AA metal.

blackjack-21 likes this.
  7. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If they don't, that would be a big plus in booking an AA SAAver award (if available) with BA Avios miles.

8. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You can't book an AA SAAver award with BA Avios. What you would be booking is a BA Avios award on partner inventory, which comes from the same AA inventory (mostly, there are nuances where AA members can have access to more), but it's not a SAAver award since you are not using AA's program. This is an important distinction because the program rules are different.

9. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So if booked via BAEC, would the AA flight then show as a BA codeshare? While I know the program rules may differ, I thought the rules from the flight airline's metal (AA in this case) are the one's that apply.

10. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No, it will not. The rules on awards (like how much they cost in miles/Avios, refunding charges, change fees, etc.) will be determined by the program whose currency you are redeeming in. For things like luggage or boarding priority that have to do with the operation of the flight, as opposed to what you used to buy the flight, yes, the flight operator's rules apply.

11. David
    Original Member

David Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you spend Avios from BAEC on TATL (including on AA metal) you will get charged fuel surcharges. Need to fly something BA don't also fly themselves to avoid them.

12. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not true. You will be required to pay the YQ charges as imposed by BAEC whether the flight in on BA or AA.
    This is a major rip-off by that program.

I can somewhat understand having to pay these charges when flying BA since its a charge levied on BAEC redemptions but since AA doesn't require it on their metal there
    should be no reason for Avois awards to incur what is essentially a BA imposed charge..

13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope. It is very, very rare that an award flight can be booked on a codeshare rather than using the operating carrier's flight number.

blackjack-21 likes this.
  14. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So is that only on TATL routes, and if so, which ones- just LHR, UK, or even Europe routes that don't even touch the UK like JFK-ZRH/FRA? I know that I've never paid YQ on AS or AA redeeming with BA Avios for redemptions- in one case, international (YUL-LGA).

15. David
    Original Member

David Silver Member

Status Points:
    BAs programme, BAs rules. The fact that AA don't charge their members this in redemptions from their scheme is irrelevant. As is the fact BA keeps the money to be honest. Their programme, their rules. Although it is a joint business route, so AA might get a cut of it.

16. David
    Original Member

David Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you stick clear of routes that BA competes on you should be okay. So US domestics and internationals that are not North American - Europe.

With the joint business agreement I expect it will be all TATL.

17. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It would seem you are right; an AA redemption one way on JFK-ZRH for 4/15 in Y has a cash charge of $77.50 ($75 close in fee, $2.50 in taxes), $282 on BA.

18. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't believe I saw anyone here say it wasn't BA's program and that they should not run how they saw fit.:rolleyes:

But their additional charges on award tickets are not solely restricted to TA tickets their charges on AA awards to the Caribbean for example are approx. 50% higher than that charged by AA on the exact same flight.
    Not as ridiculous as TA but another rip-off IMHO.

Since no one here has a clue how these charges are distributed I could very well speculate with similar accuracy that AA does not share in the extra cost :)

19. David
    Original Member

David Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wasn't saying that you disagreed with that, merely that this for all it's simplicity is what it is.

20. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    To make this possibly clearer with an example, take LHR-JFK one-way on 14 October 2014.
    • Using AA, I can book an economy one-way AA MileSAAver award on AA107 for 30,000 AA miles plus £123.91. (I could also choose to book an AAnytime award on AA107 for 45,000 AA miles plus £123.91.)
    • Using BA, I can book an economy one-way BA award on AA107 at the BAEC rate of 20,000 Avios plus £240.91.
    Then take LHR-JFK one-way on 4 November 2014.
    • Using AA, I can book an economy one-way AA MileSAAver award on AA105 for 20,000 AA miles plus £123.91. (I could also choose to book an AAnytime award on AA105 for 45,000 AA miles plus £123.91.)
    • Using BA, I can book an economy one-way BA award on AA105 at the BAEC rate of 20,000 Avios plus £240.91.
    The BA option in each case charges a cash component of £240.91. The same cash component is payable if you book an economy one-way BA award on a BA flight on the same day.

These options show how the different AA prices for a MileSAAver award, depending on travel date, have nothing to do with the Avios price that BAEC charges for a BA award on the same flight. (No codeshares involved.) And the same applies to the cash component: BAEC charges what it charges, not what AA charges.