BA Avios possible changes on partner flights

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by sheikkila02, Aug 24, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. sheikkila02

sheikkila02 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Randomly up at midnight on a Sunday, saw this and figured milepoint should know (in case everyone doesn't religiously check FT and the blogs):

http://milenomics.com/2014/08/suspension-rules-burn-avios-upcoming-aa-flights-now/

TLDR Version: Iberia Avios now pricing quite high, no advance warning. Since the Avios programs are related, stands to reason that BA Avios may follow suit, no advance warning.

(So that everyone doesn't think i'm just spreading rumors, I went ahead and made 1 shorthaul AA booking LGA-ORD for next year for me and the wife based on this.)

iolaire and MX like this.
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    The fact that you might have spent 9k miles on a couple awards is supposed convince us:D

I for one have been surprised that AA had not pressured/convinced BA to adjust the miles for short hop AA awards earlier ( that is after BA trumpeted how great the new award structure was when they changed just few short years ago)

If this is true ( and I for one is not at all convinced) there is going to be a crescendo of bitching and moaning on these boards .. to be contradicted by the BA brown-nosers telling all how great it will still be to redeem a F award to MEL for 500k points + 1200 GBP in YQ charges.:)

sheikkila02 and viguera like this.
  3. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    If it does happen, it will certainly make BA's ff program much less useful for North American flyers. Here's hoping that BA realizes that, and any coming devaluations are not that extreme.

iolaire and Flyer1976 like this.
  4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's a major devaluation right there... :eek:

5. sheikkila02

Status Points:
    Haha fair point. I don't have barely any skin in the game when it comes to BA Avios (and 0 Iberia Avios). Just meant I acted on the info. :)

newbluesea likes this.
  6. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Honestly I expect any good offer that everyone promotes often to go away sometime soon. So this warning is not really a surprise to me, everyone knows its an extremely good deal, so they are using it, and costing the program, so it can be expected for the program to reign in the opportunity.

For example right now everyone is recommending using SQ points to fly to Hawaii. I expect that to come to an end, or alternatively (best case) maybe UA will get access to more SQ seats if SQ starts to book a lot of UA seats....

(I am surprised that the SW companion pass via CC is still available - that's another offer that I expected to be removed. And that offer is why I've not needed to use my BA points in this way.)

7. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    I honestly don't understand the thinking that leads to airlines doing this sort of thing. I know prices on award tickets can't remain static indefinitely, but why not do regular, smaller devaluations instead of keeping things static for several years and then doing a Zimbabwe-currency-level adjustment to the award charts?

Mikus33 and edekba like this.
  8. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Too much work to constantly modify ... so after a few years of accounting and reports; "oh crap we're spending on how much on award tickets? How many miles are outstanding? Oh crap ... Oh Crap. Okay lets make it harder for them to redeem so that we don't have this much cost next year."

That's just me thinking out loud btw.

9. sheikkila02

Status Points:
    Agree that it's surprising that this can't be done more incrementally. It's a fair theory that down the road more airlines will wind up pegging the value of the miles to a cash value a la Southwest/Jetblue -- Southwest did a devaluation recently but it's a very transparent system. (That being said, I do love redeeming for international first class.)

travelpye likes this.
  10. FormalHall

FormalHall Active Member

Status Points:
    Why would AA be particularly worried what BA charges for AA awards? They will only be worried about the internal accounting between the airlines. What AA 'loses' in BA redemptions must be made up by banking their fuel surcharges when AA members redeem on BA.

Low redemption values for short hops is just part of having a distance based rather than region based award chart. Even QF, which usually charges high rates asks only 8000 points for sub-600 mile flights on AA.

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, this has pretty much been debunked. Like many things, a bit of Chicken Little crying devaluation before fully researching what was going on.

Flyer1976, eponymous_coward and Pete like this.
  12. Pete
    Original Member

Pete Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not so much "chicken little" as it is the usual bloggers trying to "break" some news and drive readers to their blogs for credit card referrals.

travelpye and eponymous_coward like this.
  13. sheikkila02

Status Points:
    Eh in this instance I think most of the blogs that advertised this weren't getting a lot out of it. The ones I saw were milenomics and saverocity...hard to say they were trying to drive referral revenue. (I mean, I'm sure someone somewhere used this to intentionally worry people to sign up for the new possibly bad Citi card, but not the guys I saw.)

Just a "in an abundance of caution" move on my part. But then I didn't have much to lose.

14. Pete
    Original Member

Pete Silver Member

Status Points:
    Of course they were. It's all about being first. And pushing credit cards.

EZEIZA likes this.