BA Avios on AA continental US routes

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by carpe diem, Dec 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. carpe diem
    Original Member

carpe diem Silver Member

Status Points:
    After the big change at BA with their new award chart and introduction of Avios, I was afraid I'd have little choice but to use up my BA miles...err, Avios.

I just booked a coach rt ticket on AA (through BA website) from MIA-ATL and was surprised to see it only cost 9,000 Avios + $5. I know they are now based on mileage flown, but I thought this was a great improvement for the shorthauls when prices are not rock bottom.

I am not a premium cabin long-haul flyer for the most part, so I realize this may not be the best use of the miles....but it is an improvement for the short hauls.

Just remember, this is great if you have a DIRECT flight. Add in a connection and you're paying for it with more miles!

thrashsoundly likes this.
  2. sun
    Original Member

sun Silver Member

Status Points:
    Use AA miles to get to a region and BA miles for travel within that region. Looks like a nice feature to me. I wasn't a fan of paying huge fuel surcharges on BA anyway.

thrashsoundly and Lyssa like this.
  3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    There are people who are fans? ;)

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, they work at BA.

5. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recently booked LGA-DTW for 4500 Avios + $5 which was a good deal. The BA website is quite annoying when it comes to booking partner awards however - I tried booking online for days but kept getting an error message. Finally called in, and was told I would have to pay a $25 booking fee (the ticket is still a great deal with the booking fee, but it was the principle of the matter). I pushed back and had to go back and forth with the (friendly) agent who said that they are no longer allowed to waive the booking fee under any circumstances. Finally, a supervisor stepped in and made a one-time exception. :rolleyes:

6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Believe or not there are..... just visit any of the BA boards and you find an number of (the same) posters who just absolutely love every thing BA does. They all like to pretend they fly BA F and drink bottles of Krug.. yet when one read into some the posts you find they rarely do fly BA, many are not even domiciled in the UK but will denigrate any and all posters who have the audacity to question their deity.

anabolism likes this.
  7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    These are the same ones who imply the YQ helps to keep the unwashed masses from premium BA cabins, no? :)

8. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep they vey same.. now if you realy want to scare the living daylights of them just type CHASE:D

9. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

thrashsoundly Silver Member

Status Points:
    I too got good use out of my leftover Avios. I had previously booked a BA trip on CX to Asia out of LAX, but needed to get to the gateway from SLC. I didn't feel like the ~$250 RT ticket to get there was an excellent deal, and it certainly wasn't worth using up 25K miles on another program. It cost me 9K Avios, which felt like a nice free bargain. It'll be my go to LAX gateway redemption if needed.

10. FerrisWren

FerrisWren Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very difficult time trying to book AA domestic flights with Avios. Agree that web site is problematic and hoping that availability improves overtime with the new program.