BA Avios 24 hour Cancellation?

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by cheryld, Jan 23, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. cheryld
    Original Member

cheryld Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi, I am a bit confused about what happens if I cancel an Avios booking less than 24 hours before the flight. I am looking at booking a flight for tomorrow afternoon. Right now that is also less than 24 hours away.
    I have read that BA will not redeposit Avios if a cancellation is made T-24 hours prior to the flight. But since I would have also booked T-24 - would that fall under the 'cooling off' period and therefore be refundable? The flight is an AA codeshare in the US.
    Thank you!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  2. The Saint
    Original Member

The Saint Silver Member

Status Points:
    You cannot cancel an Avios booking within 24hours. If you book within 24hours and do not travel you will lose the Avios.

3. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    The USDoT 24 hr risk free cancel rule requires the travel to be more then 7 days in advance.

Some airlines have better policies than what USDoT requires like DL and UA that allow cancel within 24 hrs or before departure time of flight whichever is first even on awards.

In contrast QF and CX both require 7 days in advance of travel to cancel within 24hrs of purchase. If I recall BA seems to follow the 7 day advance baseline too so this wouldn't save you from losing the miles. And like many non us airlines you have to call to talk to someone.

4. The Saint
    Original Member

The Saint Silver Member

Status Points:
    It doesn't. It has a 24hr policy.

5. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I couldn't look it up before as I was on the road but the BA website states clearly "You may cancel a reservation made on ba.com or through the British Airways call center within 24 hours of ticketing for a full refund by calling the British Airways call center at 800-AIRWAYS provided travel is more than one week from the date of purchase."

So my earlier post was correct - free cancel within 24hrs of ticketing as long as the travel is more then 1 week in advance - which negates the goal the OP was hoping to achieve for a last minute Avios bookings.

6. The Saint
    Original Member

The Saint Silver Member

Status Points:
    You confuse two issues. What you have quoted applies - for BA - practically only to revenue bookings. That is because Avios bookings can be cancelled up to 24hrs prior with the Avios refunded. (Gold cardholders also have the fee waived).