BA A380 inaugural flight DO?

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by tommy777, Mar 5, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Folks,

I saw the announcement of the first BA A380 route and flight starting on October 15th on the LHR-LAX route.

Anyone interested in getting together on the first flight? There seems to be plenty of seats available in business and economy, I snagged two biz for LHR-LAX.

If there's any interest, I can contact BA and we could put together something fun.

Thoughts?

zphelj, Ninmurai, iolaire and 10 others like this.
  2. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm definitely interested since arrival is to my home airport :D

Just booked it, may have to cancel later but booked the one way and ate that insane fuel surcharge. If I do end up flying this flight, it will likely be my first ever British Airways flight.
    Update: Just looked at the seat chart, looks like they won't let us buy seats on the upper deck, only lower deck available for paying seat assignments.

...just realized it was the week after Chicago Seminars...think I'm going to be staying stateside rather than just fly only to be on the inaugural...I'm not in to it that much.

3. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:

4. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone who needs to burn a companion pass, I'd be happy to be your companion! :D :p

5. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a J seat on hold through AA, likely going to change my routing to LIS/MAD-LHR-LAX to avoid some APD. Still wish F would come up, I could justify the fuel surcharge more easily then...

The one issue I see is that BA isn't guaranteeing these will be the first commercial flights of the BA A380, and obviously that is what we really want :).

tommy777 likes this.
  6. SK2868
    Original Member

SK2868 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I might want to join in on this. Just have to see if my economy allows it in a couple of weeks... I might do CW out and WT on the return leg. 11K NOK OSL-LAX-OSL. :)

If not, maybe WT both ways for about 5-6K NOK. I don't have any OW status, so would be great if I could be someones guest in the lounge!? :D

7. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Uh...$570 in taxes and fuel surcharges per award seat in C. :eek:

8. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Make sure you leave from somewhere else ;). I'm looking at a long weekend in LIS, it is over $200 less that way, despite an extra flight. Due apologies to Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs :D.

9. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget that, unlike US airlines, there's also a handy premium economy cabin which may suit some people.

And don't forget that the dates have been expressly said to be provisional at this stage, and that they will be confirmed later:-

EZEIZA and tommy777 like this.
  10. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am thinking of booking MAD-LHR-LAX! With Avios though, as the cancellation fee is only $40 compared to $150 for a non-status pax like me on AA.

Only thing is the inaugural is on the 15th. I just booked myself for the ORD Seminars Oct 11-13th. Meaning I would need to fly out on the 13th to get to Madrid on the 14th to fly out on the 15th.

11. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why is this a problem? :confused:

zphelj and jetsetr like this.
  12. Ninmurai

Ninmurai Active Member

Status Points:
    I'd be interested from a blogging point of view. There's something catchy about the title of BA (BoardingArea) on BA (British Airways).

tommy777 likes this.
  13. EZEIZA
    Original Member

EZEIZA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Indeed....if it's street cred you're after for being on the first official BA A380 flight then I wouldn't be booking this so far ahead with much confidence. If you happen to be travelling to LAX on that day then fair enough.

Globaliser likes this.
  14. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm planning on being in the LHR area in October and this sounds like a fun way to return to DFW so definitely some interest.

Looks like the flight should be BA269 departing 4:15 on 2013-Oct-15 however I'm not seeing this on aa.com right now. EF and Award Nexus searches suggests to me there's no availability. Hang onto that J seat!

tommy777 likes this.
  15. The Saint
    Original Member

The Saint Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looking forward to the inaugural tomorrow.

Globaliser likes this.
  16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ditto. I'm currently booked in 73A, though I expect I'll be moving about the plane throughout the flight.

17. The Saint
    Original Member

The Saint Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll be a little further forward. ;)

Globaliser and Wandering Aramean like this.
  18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    A wise choice, indeed. I wish I were, but the budget was simply not there.

Bit of a delay out of RTM this morning due to fog in London. Glad I gave myself the 6+ hour connection.