BA 747 vs LX A340 in J

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Efilon87, Nov 8, 2014.  |  Print Topic

?

Which J product would you fly (including lounges, food, and hard product)?

1. BA 747

33.3%
  2. LX A340

66.7%
  1. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello fellow MP'ers!!

I am planning an actual vacation to CPH at the end of December. And yes, I know it is going to be FREEZING there :cool:. While there I will be taking a couple weeks to travel through OSL, ARN, and HEL before flying back to SFO. I am EXP and I booked my BA 747 outbound flight using my AA miles. I chose a seat in the upper cabin (62A) for BA286 (SFO-LHR). This flight cost me 45,000 miles (50,000 - CITI 10%) and ~$400USD in taxes. In all my flying I have never been allowed to ascend the staircase :). I would then connect to another BA flight from LHR-CPH.

I have also been looking a *A flight on a LX A340. This flight would be SFO-ZRH in J. I have no status with *A. I would be on a mainline LX flight from ZRH-CPH. I would burn about 52,000 LH miles for this award. The taxes are around the same as the BA award.

Based on your expertise, hard product knowledge (including lounges), and in-flight food which flight would you take? I will be flying in F on the way home (HEL-LHR-JFK-SFO) on the BA 747 as well.

Thanks everyone!!

~Efilon87

2. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd go for the 62A experience. 64 A/K is also pretty terrific. As an EXP you can use the First lounge at LHR inbound, and the Concorde Room on return, both pretty terrific.

You probably know this already, but the overhead bins on the upper deck are much smaller than downstairs, but there's a closet near the stairs where you can put items too big for the bins.

Swiss' J product is very good, but, as you surmise, upstairs on the BA 744 is special. Service is usually very good but can be hit and miss. BA's food runs the gamut from good to only okay, but you're not flying for the food (I hope.)

Efilon87 likes this.
  3. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually BA late evening flights ex JFK (You are served buffet meal at the lounge at the terminal itself, with limited on premise chef preparing some special(s) of the evening) no dinner during the flight. You are allowed then to sleep through the whole flight if you choose and get a breakfast/brunch if you so desire.

4. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    OP is flying SFO-LHR, LHR-JFK on the return.

anileze likes this.
  5. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Understood, Maybe SFO-LHR too serve dinner in the lounge before late evening flight ?

6. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks all for your input! I think I'm going to stick with the BA 747. I am really looking forward to that special moment when I go up those stairs. :rolleyes:

Is it worth it making an appointment at the spa at LHR? Was thinking of trying a facial on the way there and a shave on the way back.