BA 747-400 First Class Seat Selection

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by wolfsatz, Nov 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. wolfsatz
    Original Member

wolfsatz Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I are flying BA FC from LAS-LHR next Fall on what's currently listed as a 747-400. I know there aren't going to be any bad seats in first but I was wondering if anyone had any experience in first on that aircraft type. I'm considering trying to nab seats 1 and 2 to have that slight view out the front of the aircraft that you get on 74's but it's a long flight and I'd rather be exceeding comfy.

Any input would be welcome.

2. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    In case you're not already aware: 1AK are available only to Golds/Emeralds, and it's not enough merely to be travelling on the same booking as a Gold/Emerald.

2AK are significantly separated from each other.

4EF and 5EF are the couples' pairs in the middle, although many people don't like them because 4EF feel exposed and 5EF are more likely to get noise and light from the galley (same with 5AK).

If you're right handed for drinking, the K side seats allow you to easily rest your glass to your right. So some couples take 2K/3K (or similar).

MX and wolfsatz like this.
  3. wolfsatz
    Original Member

wolfsatz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah, I did NOT know that about 1AK. Ah well, I'll survive.

We are currently situated in 4EF. Hmmm, might look into 2AK if they are available, I prefer to at least have SOME kind of window.

What's the status of the upgrades to "New First" across the BA fleet?

4. jools1006

jools1006 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just flew this aircraft type SFO-LHR-SFO. I flew with a friend, and chose 2AK for us, as they feel most private to me but you can still see each other if you look across.
    1AK are quite a bit closer together.

(1K came up as available to me once online check-in opened, by the way, and I'm only BA Bronze.)

If flying with Himself I'd still take 2AK but hope that 1AK was available during check-in.

We had New First both out and back. http://ftdashboard.net/dest/index.htm is a website which lists the occurrence of NF on the various routes. Our crew said that most of the planes had it now, so by next fall you should be fine. It's beautiful; I really enjoyed it.

5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've gotten 1A or K assigned at the airport several times, and even had the other row 1 seat unassigned for the flight. They are my favourite seats on the plane.

If I can't get row 1 or 2, then I go for the couples seats in the middle. There's nothing you've not already seem out of the window, and it is nice to be able to talk to your travel companion. If you do two seats in the same letter row, you cannot really even see each other (which may be what you prefer! ;)), though you can sit together for dinner in the BA seats.

Enjoy the ride.

6. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    I booked 1A for LHR-DFW in September (AA partner award) and really enjoyed the NF seat and the unusual view out of my windows. As others have noted 1AK are much closer together however I don't see this as a negative unless you should have an unpleasant neighbor. There is a small closet between and forward of the two seats which you can share with others.

7. martinfoss
    Original Member

martinfoss Silver Member

Status Points:
    On the Hi-J version , all planes have the new F. Of the Low-J version, it's only 12 of 26 planes that have it. Not sure when you fly, but a random date in Sepember next year shows the Lo-J. That is the version with World Traveller Plus between First and Club World. If you have access to Expertflyer, you can simply check the seat map there, and see the row number for WTP and CW. If WTP is on lower numbered rows than CW, there's a chance of old F.

How many more planes that have been converted untill then (and if they even convert all of them - it has been said they won't, but I think the new rumours are that they will)

As for seat choice, I've only flown BA F once, and I was in 2A, which was not bad in any way, although I travelled alone and wanted privacy more than the ability to talk to the guy in 2K Had new F and enjoyed it very much. .

8. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    I should have said that my earlier answer was in the context of pre-allocation. At online check-in (and sometimes after the flight is edited at -3 days) it's sometimes possible for non-Golds/Emeralds to get 1AK. But it would be unsafe to rely on that so far out in time.
    Rumours are, unfortunately, just that.

My personal view is that BA has not yet decided whether or not the remaining mid-J 744s will get converted to NF, and that that's why there's no official word.

NYBanker likes this.