BA 1st IAD to LHR - not good

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by profpeabody, Dec 4, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. profpeabody

profpeabody Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flew from IAD to LHR in first and was really disappointed in the experience. Cabin stewards were really bad. The best thing about the flight was the pajamas. An hour into the flight, had not even gotten to ordering the dinner so I gave up and made up my own bed (steward was MIA and I know they weren't preparing dinner because none of us had even ordered yet) and tried to sleep. The steward walked up and down the aisle all night. We were in center seats and the rather robust steward serving my side stomped so loudly my husband on the other side heard it throughout the night. Even more disturbing, mid-flight our steward decided to open and shut EVERY SINGLE overhead bin. I began to worry about my carry-on. Finally gave up the attempt to sleep at 4:30. Asked for a cappuccino and breakfast. Steward reached over me to pull out the tray upsetting my glass of water all over me. Never offered a napkin, never apologized, just walked away. Simple courtesy would have demanded more, forget the service you should expect in First. My breakfast was long finished by the time the cappuccino arrived (not worth the wait by the way). We would have been better off not flying BA - a real disappointment. Considering the $1000 surcharge on top of the miles, it is even more disappointing. We just booked United to London for our March trip. As an aside, we were scheduled to fly on an A380 on this trip but a 777 was subbed due to mechanical issues. We had no problems with that, these things happen but the service level should not have been affected by the change in aircraft.

2. nldogbert

nldogbert Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a rather similar experience (albeit in Club World). My experience with BA premium cabin service is that it seems to be degrading over time or I have had some bad luck recently (or maybe too high expectations). Dare I say that AF cabin crews (even in Economy) seem to be more friendly and not showing (at least) that they did not want to be at work. I would write in to customer service to let them know (even this is another story as I did write to them but they responded with a textbook answer whereby I responded back and never heard from them again).

profpeabody likes this.
  3. profpeabody

profpeabody Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry you had a similar experience in terms of service. Funny how crew attitude can make all the difference. I don't need pampering, just efficient and courteous service.
    I completed the BA survey they sent via email but have not heard a peep from them. I will chalk this one up to "live and learn." No more BA for us.

4. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I would describe the handful of premium cabin experiences I've had on BA as "adequate". The meal service is usually slower than I would prefer, but the service is okay and the seat is comfortable (though not my favorite). I'm not scoring it my favorite, but there are certainly much worse ways to fly.