BA’s A380 deliveries “will be pushed back”

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by uggboy, Aug 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || BA’s A380 deliveries “will be pushed back” ||

Interesting development @ BA!:confused:

jbcarioca, LETTERBOY and sobore like this.
  2. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe this is something announced at the results yesterday. Flight's article seems to suggest that this may be to do with the wing rib foot cracking issue, although it's far from explicit about it.

jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, that's what I thought too!

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    If all the information released is correct BA's first one or two will have the new fix installed prior to delivery, but the aircraft will have been retrofitted after initial completion. The full production with the new fix is not anticipated until 1Q 2014 according to Airbus and Willie claims the first BA one will be delivered before then. Either way BA is, like Qatar, seemingly planning on accepting delivery of only fully corrected aircraft. I think I'm reading this correctly. Does anybody see it otherwise?

LETTERBOY likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any insights as to why it takes until 1Q 2014 for the fix to be implemented in production? (vs. retrofit)

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    My understanding was that in regards to the parts affected, their production was already started under the old method and it was simpler to complete the plane and correct after vs. implementing changes on planes already in production and being assembled.

7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is also what I understand. The details probably are available somewhere but this Air Transport World article:
    http://atwonline.com/aircraft-engines-components/news/a380-cracks-fixes-start-early-next-year-0524
    is among the most details I have seen and it does not say exactly why the production process and installation schedule is taking so long.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  8. Petrus
    Original Member

Petrus Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bring on the 748i I say, to fill the gap ;)
    (Wont happen, but one can dream...)

9. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    They could get them cheaply and fairly quickly so it conceivably could happen. I doubt it too, but stranger things have happened.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  10. Petrus
    Original Member

Petrus Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a discussion with Andy Lord (BA Director of Operations) in Seattle earlier this year about this very topic. Unfortunately, it makes very little sense for BA to add another aircraft type to their fleet. The 748 is an entirely new plane, even though it looks almost identical to the 744. Consolidated fleets is the way forward.
    However, he did not close the door completely. Should there be major problems with the A380 deliveries, they may consider their options, including the 748. F should be in the nose! ;)

Globaliser, LETTERBOY and jbcarioca like this.
  11. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    LH seems to have agreed also with their 748 config.

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. tornadoflyer

tornadoflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Heard from a 744 Training Capt the other day that
    BA are going to wait for the 380 with the "fixed"
    wings.....that way they won't suffer the same drop in value as the ones with the " broken" wings!!
    Makes sense...the A market 777's they bought are virtually worthless on the used market as they
    were rendered obsolete by the later models......
    (Perhaps why BA has shied away from launch customer status in recent years??)

787 wise....looks like only 2 deliveries in '13 rather than the 4 originally expected......

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    To be fair, those 777's are quite old now, and no older airplanes are holding value today as they did a decade or so ago, mostly because of greater ease in financing new ones and the significant improvements in new production versions of older designs. All things equal those early 777's are still very good airplanes even though they aren't worth too much today.

14. The Saint
    Original Member

The Saint Silver Member

Status Points:
    G-ZZZA to ZZZC were delivered between Nov 1995 and March 1997. That does not make them very old. By comparison, BA is still flying 744s that it received in 1990. However, as these aircraft are well maintained by BA and are, for the most part, fully owned (rather than leased), they are of considerable value to BA even if their resale value would not be great.

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thus succinctly explaining why so many carriers keep the ones they have. Regardless of current resale value the operating utility of the oldest 744's and obviously all 777's exceeds their current market value, even though none of these airlines, including BA are searching for used ones to buy. if prices continue to fall and fuel prices lower, those resale values will improve despite B and A flooding the market with new airplanes on attractive terms. I suspect you agree with that?

16. tornadoflyer

tornadoflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are absolutely right if course....a bit like your car needing a bit more TLC but still doing the job.
    The 400's are getting a little tired but plenty of life left in them yet! The 777's are being added to with the 300 model...6 already and at least another 4 due shortly as far as I know... Most of the existing fleet finally refitted with new First class ....
    The 300 is a lovely machine deployed on some nice routes ( mostly) too.

jbcarioca and LETTERBOY like this.