Awesome Milepoint Premium Benefit.

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by brucewil, Oct 28, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    As I'm sure most of you are aware, one of the many benefits of the MILEPOINT premium membership is the ability to buy Hyatt gift cards at a discount. There was initially some question as to whether using them to pay for Hyatt stays would prevent you from earning Hyatt points. I'm pretty sure that question has been resolved and the answer is that it does not prevent you from earning points on your stays.

I recently ordered two $500 gift cards as I have a Hyatt stay coming up overseas. The purchase price for the cards was $450 each plus the $6 delivery charge. I paid with my Starwood Preferred business card with OPEN savings, not knowing how the purchase would be considered for the 5% OPEN discount. To my delight, I see the 5% credit on my statement! The decision of which card to use for overseas hyatt stays just became clearer. No foreign transaction fees on gift cards! I still get my 1 Starpoints per dollar, 5% OPEN savings and a 10% discount on the purchase. WIN,WIN,WIN!

Thanks MILEPOINT! That premium membership purchase paid for itself 3X over already.

2. elepsis

elepsis Active Member

Status Points:
    Pardon me if I'm mistaken, but aren't the Hyatt gift cards only valid in the US and Canada? I thought I read that in the terms when I ordered mine.

If they're valid at any Hyatt worldwide, this is a much more exciting deal for me!

boondr likes this.
  3. SKYEG

SKYEG Member

Status Points:
    As far as I know, they are only for N.A. usage. I'm pretty sure these are the same gcs that I have bought in the past. Great benefit though! Does Canada count as an international destination for shipping? $26 is a bit steep +_+.

tondoleo likes this.
  4. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    That would stink. I guess I need to read the T&C. Thanks for the info. Still a good deal for NA. I'm sure I will be using them soon in any case.

tondoleo and rookie10 like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:

Gift Cards Terms & Conditions
    This card can be applied toward eligible purchases at participating Hyatt Hotels and Resorts in the U.S., Canada and Caribbean.

https://www.certificates.hyatt.com/TCGiftCardCert.aspx

The Gift Certificates are valid worldwide, as far as I know, though the question is always whether the exchange rate applied by the hotel for the US-denominated certificates is a good one compared to using a No-Forex credit card.

6. rookie10

rookie10 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it safe to say that Hawaii is also included that would accept gift cards?

tondoleo and Sweet Willie like this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:

Two weeks ago it was still part of the USA as far as CBP was concerned ;)

boondr, tondoleo, icurhere2 and 2 others like this.
  8. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    key point, thanks for posting. I still have $500 of the Hyatt Gift Certs I need to use up.

tondoleo likes this.
  9. calflygirl

calflygirl Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm going to be on a Diamond Challenge when I am on an award stay at a Hyatt early next year. I know that the stays won't count toward the Challenge, I just want the Diamond perks while I'm there. I'm also going to be using my MP premium membership to purchase discounted Hyatt gift cards to use while I'm there (restaurants, spas, etc.). Would it make sense for me to purchase the gift cards after I start the challenge based on the 5x points and 30% bonus, or do those perks only apply to actual hotel room charges? I'm just trying to figure out if I should buy them in advance or if it would be somehow advantageous for me to be Diamond (albeit, temporarily) when I purchase the gift cards. Thanks in advance.

tondoleo likes this.
  10. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    If what you are asking is, Does it matter how you pay for your stay, the answer is no it does not. Eligible charges would be 5x plus the 30% Diamond bonus. You will have to check to see if Restaurant and spa charges will count. Most (if not all) count food but not alcohol and some may count spa charges. You have to check the Hyatt website to see which hotels will count spa charges. My wife and I stayed at Beaver Creek this year and spa charges were not eligible.

I don't think it matters when you purchase the gift cards, status or no status. You don't receive Hyatt points for gift card purchases, only credit card points if you were to use a Hyatt Visa to pay. If you have a Starwood card with OPEN savings, you would be best to pay for them with that as I pointed out in the original post.

I hope that helped

tondoleo likes this.
  11. calflygirl

calflygirl Active Member

Status Points:
    Yes, that was very helpful. Thanks!

tondoleo likes this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    yes, indeed I still have some left-overs (> $500, unfortunately) in my safe from the Costco certs sale. I really haven't stayed at Hyatts in the last couple of years where this would have been a good option, but keeping them forever probably isn't either.

tondoleo and Sweet Willie like this.
  13. triplefives

triplefives New Member

Status Points:
    Can you place as many orders as you'd like for gift cards up until the $5000 limit is reached? The 10% off is a great deal but I'd prefer not to store my cash in a hyatt gift card.

tondoleo likes this.
  14. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've sent an email to Premium Membership asking them to answer this question as I'm curious as well.

tondoleo likes this.
  15. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd guess you can but curious to hear the real answer. Plus $6 per card.

16. Over the Atlantic

Over the Atlantic Silver Member

Status Points:
    The answer is yes. I already made my first purchase (<$500) and can make further orders in any increment up to the remaining aggregate balance. BTW, the $6 fee is per order.

triplefives and Mark like this.
  17. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  18. JapanMiles

JapanMiles Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hyatt Gift Checks work everywhere and in the past Hyatt has allowed one to swap cards for checks.

I just bought checks through the current GPGIFT 10% off deal using my SPG BIZ AMEX and it posted in a manner that I will be very surprised if I get 5% off for. If I don't I'll be pretty bummed out.

19. jd623

jd623 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any update on the 5% back JapanMiles with Amex Open? Debating what card to use to purchase. Thank you.

20. JapanMiles

JapanMiles Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, it just posted today. I'm amazed!

jd623 likes this.
  21. Biggles209
    Original Member

Biggles209 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I bought a gift card with my AmEx Business Gold card. No Open savings posted, so I called and was informed that the savings are only for stays at properties - definitely not for gift card purchases...

22. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    I definitely got it for GC purchase

23. farwest101

farwest101 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What did the Hyatt purchase post as on your Amex statement? I'll buy Hyatts on spec for 15%, but 10% isn't enough to entice me.

24. Biggles209
    Original Member

Biggles209 Silver Member

Status Points:
    11/07/13 $1,806.00
    HYATTGIFT CERTIFICAOMAHA NE
    312-750-8109

25. JapanMiles

JapanMiles Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone have any experience in 2014?