awards with LAN, how far in advance...?

Discussion in 'LAN | LANPASS' started by Gaucho, Jan 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can you get awards ticketed 360 days in advance or is LAN more restrictive about this....?

2. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    They are 360 in advance, if the flights are loaded, which right now, they aren't.

zpaul and Gaucho like this.
  3. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    You lost me there.... are you saying that in theory they are available 360 in advance, but if they are running full they dont release inventory, or simply dont offer any awards that far in advance.... or what exactly are your saying...?

My apologies, but the toungue of Shakespeare is only my 3rd language so my reading-comprehension is far from proficient..... :oops:

4. HouseofV

HouseofV Silver Member

Status Points:
    While speaking of LAN.

Any idea on the quality of their business class vs AA? Got a trip to Venezuela coming up and was wanting to redeem an All-Partner award to try it out. Worth it?

zpaul, Bay Pisco Shark and Gaucho like this.
  5. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I am saying that in theory they load their flights (incl. award availability) 360 days in advance. The industry standard is 330. It appears that recently they are following the industry standard.

By the way, I don't understand the tongue of Shakespeare. It is an odd foreign language.:eek:

zpaul and Gaucho like this.
  6. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just did a quick search on KVS and it appears they are at 331 days. They are pushing the envelope!

@HouseofV. If you are taking a long-haul flight the LAN 767-300ER's seats are full flat and AA 777-200's are angled lie flat. AA has a cpl more inches, 74'' vs. 77'', of pitch but both have same width.

I have never personally experienced either so I can't tell you about the meal service and flight attendent passenger care.

I hope that helps you in making a choice.

zpaul likes this.
  7. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    You need to speak with the Pisco Shark... he is the resident expert on all things on the right side of the LAN curtain....

zpaul, Bay Pisco Shark and HouseofV like this.
  8. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The operative word is curtain, because LAN has curtains, and they use them. I've only been on 1 longhaul AA J flight. I hated the slanted seat. The only thing that AA is better at is refilling your water and beverages. House of V doesn't mention where he would be flying LAN to/from to Venezuela, so it is unclear what sort of service and aircraft he'd be on.

zpaul likes this.
  9. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi HouseofV,

I prefer LAN's J hard product overall, as do most, though I fly AA's all the time and I have found ways to adapt to the slanted seat. AA's new menu and amenities are excellent and I much prefer their on-board service. Not thrilled with AA's new Samsung Galaxy tablets as the IFE in J - I'm still a fan of LAN's entertainment.

If you're flying to Venezuela from the United States, though, keep in mind that it's not considered a long-haul flight so you'll probably be on a domestic-configured 757; if it is a 767 with the international J configuration you won't have full international J service, but something more like domestic F even though you'll have the J seat.

10. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Trying to book awards for Feb 2013..... (for the 1st week).... the POS website keeps on timing out....

:mad: :mad: :mad:

11. Robt760

Robt760 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to give LAN a try as well, but award availability using AA and AS has been the hardest to find in all of my years of experience using awards bookings (20 yrs). I had an easier time finding QF availability in "P" on the A-380.

Trying to go from California to anywhere in Deep South America. The only option that I've found (J Seat) is MIA-LIM. This would mean flying AA LAX-MIA, then LA MIA-LIM, and one more segment LIM-EZE/SCL/RIO. Cashing in for an AA award (J Seat) is just as bad unless using 2x miles (Aanytime). Meanwhile, "F" Saaver awards are available for 65K each way, but what kind of "F" experience can one get going through DFW vs MIA or JFK for a lounge? DFW does not equal an "F" experience, sorry.

Back on topic, does the reduction in availability have to do with LAN recently reducing the "J" seating, or are they just stingy with AA and AS getting access to award seats?

Gaucho likes this.
  12. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I believe it is the reduction in the J cabin. All the awards come out of the "U" bucket, no matter what the partner.

Gaucho likes this.
  13. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Geesh. I'm trying to book an award ticket AEP/IGR and there's no award availability for months using my BA Avios. :rolleyes:
    This trip is 6 months out. I can book a 1 way IGR/AEP. :cool:

SC Flier and Gaucho like this.
  14. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dan... amigo, welcome to the LAN twilight zone.... :rolleyes:

15. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I blew off IGR for AEP/MDZ instead.