Awards on BusinessExtrAA

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by foxberg, Jan 20, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never redeemed for a flight award on BE before, only for some AC passes. I accumulated enough points for BX1B - PlanAAhead award within continental US, Canada and Mexico in J/F. I'm trying to understand if this award is OW or RT? Also, does anyone have any experience with booking these awards? If I redeem it, then as far as I understand I should get some kind of code to provide to the AA reservations. But what's the difference between PlanAAhead and AAnytime awards? I understand there's a timing issue but still can't understand what's the threshold to book after I redeem BX1B. Could someone explain this to me? Thanks!

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    The award is roundtrip and PlanAAhead awards come out of 'saver' award inventory and AAnytime awards are basically double mileage awards where if there's a seat for sale on the plane you should be able to have it.

3. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you. So, basically I have to look up availability on AA.com and then call them to make a reservation? BE also mentions that awards are valid for one year after the redemption, so the only limitations I can see with PlanAAhead is that I can't book last minute flights with it. I have to book a flight 14 days prior to taking it, is that correct?

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can use the award one way too :), but its the same amount of points.

You can look at AA.com for avail, but when I've seen T avail, sometimes the BE agents can not find the same flights, for some reason. :confused:

"All travel awards must be ticketed 5 days after the reservation is made or 14 days prior to departure whichever date comes first. If the reservation is made less than 14 days prior to departure, the reservation can be held for 48 hours for ticketing. All ticketing must be done through AA reservations prior to arrival at the airport."

Looks like you can do last min flights, but have to ticket at the airport.

foxberg and jbcarioca like this.