Award Wallet Responds To My Posts About The AA Situation

Discussion in 'AwardWallet' started by MLW20, Feb 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last Friday I wrote about AA forcing Award Wallet to discontinue the browser extension. This has made a lot of people annoyed and upset at American Airlines. Many feel that AA is not playing fairly with a small company and has other issues to worry about while in bankruptcy.

A couple of hours after publishing the above post, I received an e-mail from AA regarding Award Wallet which you can read here. American Airlines is saying that security is the issue with our miles being tracked on AW.

The weekend passed and there wasn't much else to report regarding AA and Award Wallet until today.

I was checking e-mail from my phone and had a message from the President of AwardWallet, Jeff Bianco regarding the response I received from AA. A few hours later, I also had a comment on my AA Response post from Alexi Vereschaga, Co-Founder & CTO of AwardWallet.

They claim that AA is missing the point. Award Wallet is not accessing aa.com or storing our info on their servers so AA's response makes no sense in regards to what they are doing.

To read my full post, go to http://michaelwtravels.blogspot.com/2012/02/award-wallet-responds-to-my-posts-about.html

traveler likes this.
  2. Menashe

Menashe Silver Member

Status Points:
    It would be useful if AwardWallet allowed you to manually track info, so at least some aspects work (for example, ability to put AAdvantage numbers on an AwardWallet card). Is there some way to do this that I'm missing? I don't see it in the FAQs and I can't figure out a way to enter an unsupported program.

traveler likes this.
  3. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I'm thinking that it would be nice if the Award Wallet browser application would read a simple local data file containing Name of Person, Name of Program, Current Points, Current Status, Expiration Date, Date of Last Update and presented this information along with the automatically maintained information. Then, I'd be able to make manual updates to this file for the programs that AW doesn't track and see them along with my other information.

The data file doesn't have to contain credentials.

traveler likes this.
  4. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would it even need to be a local data file? How about just a field where you can enter a number, and the field shows the date you last changed the number? Pretty simple. I'd use it, as that's basically what I'm doing with an on-screen Sticky now.

traveler, wheat27 and autolycus like this.
  5. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA should fire some of their IT Security staff and get some people that actually understand what they talking about. Their "security" concern is a total BS. If I can pull data fro DL and UA, etc. without any security issues on their side then what makes AA so special? Is their site so "holy"?

traveler and schnitzel like this.
  6. traveler
    Original Member

traveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since the forced discontinued browser extension I use the airline name UnAmerican to manually keep track. I inter my AA number, expiration date and mileage balance, but it does not add the miles to my Totals. So for the final Program I call it "X complete total with UnAA" where I manually add their total to our AA miles for a complete total with a larger number that makes me smile.

PointsCashMiles likes this.