Award trip to NZ: Planning

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Up&Away, Apr 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Up&Away

Up&Away Silver Member

Status Points:
    My parents are wanting to go to NZ in June or July of 2014 to visit family friends. I'm fairly certain they don't have one frequent flier account for either of them, so we're starting from scratch. I was thinking about having them focus on UR points (cc bonuses, both personal & business + spend) but was wondering if the two-browser trick for Citi AA cards for each of them might be a better choice. If we did the AA option + UR with the intent of moving them to AA miles, are we shooting ourselves in the foot by putting all our eggs in one basket? They will be flying out of Dallas, Austin, or possibly Houston. What would you suggest they focus on?

2. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    With the Citi AA two browser trick they could pick up more miles for the least amount of spend: 130K miles (if only going for the published offers and not special links) for only $5K spend.

2 Citi Platinum Select Visas at 30K each with $2K total spend = 60K miles
    2 Citi Business Master Cards at 35K each with $3K total spend - 70K miles

With UR (SP and Ink bold), they'd get 180K miles (if only going for published offers not special links) for $30K spend.

Up&Away likes this.
  3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would do the Citi AA two browser trick and then the Business card a few months later for 150K AA bonus which would be 159K AA miles after minimum spends. This would be enough for two First Class round-trip tickets with a mix of AA/CX/QF. I'd rather go with a OW carrier since they have better availability.

Up&Away likes this.
  4. rharrigill
    Original Member

rharrigill Silver Member

Status Points:
    UR points don't transfer to AA. They do transfer to BA, though. But if you use BA miles to redeem on other OW airlines, I think you'll run into steep fuel surcharges.

Up&Away likes this.
  5. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

thrashsoundly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not to be a downer, but I hope they like rain. June and July is in the middle of the NZ winter, so it'll be cool and wet. What city or cities are they going to?

Although it's sometimes difficult to find availability to NZ on Qantas, I'd probably also go the AA miles route.

BA miles may come in handy if your parents want a side trip to Australia for 10K Avios one way.

Up&Away likes this.
  6. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is quite true, although June and July aren't high peak times to fly to NZ. Remember QF flies direct to Sydney, Australia from Dallas, although reward tickets can be hard to get. There's lots of cheap options for crossing the Tasman Sea from Australia to New Zealand (Virgin, Jetstar, and Air New Zealand (NZ))

You might also want to consider miles in UA/CO, since NZ is a *A member and availability can be quite good (availability, and product, on UA is much less good).