Award travel waitlist questions, X>I

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by norge, Mar 21, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. norge
    Original Member

norge Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking at options for a trip BOI-KOA next Jan. (two of us). Of course, there are no Bus/First Saver awards available for two on the day we need to leave. But, there are coach saver awards available BOI-SFO (CR7)-SFO-KOA (753).
    1.If I book this itinerary in coach ("X") should I do it online and then call CS and ask to be W/L for Bus/First ("I") on both legs?
    2. Will CS charge me the Bus/First price of 40K at that time or after (or if) I clear the W/L?
    3. What happens if the first leg, BOI-SFO clears but the SFO-KOA doesn't? Or vice versa? Will I have the option of refusing the change to Bus/First on the one leg and flying both legs in coach (X)? For the coach fare of 22.5K?
    4. Where would this W/L rank vs those using U/G instruments?
    Thx!

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The answer to your question is that "yes, it can be done, but only on the phone". The short of it is that if you wish to waitlist for a Bus/First saver award, you must be confirmed for a saver X but pay for I. If the I shows up, then you will be upgraded. If I does not show up, you will fly in X and be reimbursed the mileage difference between the I and the X saver awards. The trick is that there must be saver awards in X for you to confirm, and then you can waitlist for a saver I by paying for it. Here's the verse from the UA T&C:

3. norge
    Original Member

norge Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks a lot. Now what about questions #3 and #4?
    I don't want to be confirmed into "I" on the short boi-sfo leg and not the long sfo-koa leg. Or do they wait until there are B/F seats on BOTH flts before they confirm?

4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This must be done over the phone because there is no other way. When you speak with a representative, you can discuss the options, and if it is a really good rep, whatever you desire can probably be done. You may need to split the itinerary for maximum flexibility...

5. norge
    Original Member

norge Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks again.

Add on question: I also see this routing with first two legs available in F on US--boi-phx-lax-koa. lax-koa is on UA and only X available currently. I know I can book this and W/L for the last leg. My question is: what happens if B/F never becomes available? My guess is I'd be stuck with itinerary (F on US legs & Coach on last leg) & paying the full 40K. Or could a UA CSR move me into coach seats on the US legs IF they showed at a saver level?

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    For travel next January don't expect any changes to the US-operated segments. When they leave *A next week that will cut off a lot of flexibility.

IME the waitlist clearing require you to call in to finalize so you can choose if you want just the one segment. Once done, however, you have it and will pay the higher rate even if the longer flight to the islands does not clear.

7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The rule is clear, I think: "...the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed." The key word is segment. If a premium cabin upgrade for any of the segments for which you were waitlisted does not clear, the whole itinerary will be considered to be an X award, and the mile difference between the premium and economy awards will be redeposited. It is not about which segment is longest, as would be the case for a GPU; it is whether the upgrade for a segment in a premium cabin clears or not.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  8. norge
    Original Member

norge Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to both of you. I think I've got it now. But, if I want a mixed itin. including some US flts. I need to book with my UA miles by 3/31. Correct?

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That only works for BF/GF upgrade itineraries, not award trips. Hawaii routes don't have that "freebie" if the long segment doesn't clear. In the BOI-LAX-KOA example the OP provided fying EITHER segment in the forward cabin makes the award I class.

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Book by the 30th, not 31st. And I wouldn't push it too far, especially if you see the seats.

11. norge
    Original Member

norge Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gracias!! :)

12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    You'd have to tell UA to clarify that to match your take on it because I'd extracted that bit straight from the rule on how one can waitlist upgrades to B/F on an award trip [something I have repeatedly said can be done to waitlist an upgrade on award trip, to much derision]. Here's the full UA rule, again, to put the bit that I'd quote back in context:
    BTW, the rule quoted above is under the item titled United air travel award rules at the bottom of the page, which may need to be expanded to reveal the content.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I know that one can waitlist a segment for the higher cabin on an award; I wouldn't call it an upgrade, but that doesn't really matter. It used to be known as "Plan B" for awards and I've written about it many times.

But what that quote you've copied doesn't address is the multi-segment award which the OP is looking to book. If ANY segment is in the higher cabin then the entire award is treated as being in the higher cabin. If the OP books BOI-LAX-KOA with BOI-LAX in I and LAX-KOA in X but waitlisted for I and the X->I doesn't clear then they'll still be charged the I price because BOI-LAX was booked and flown in I.

14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have not been in the situation, so I could not claim to be sure how it would be interpreted. However, I would argue with UA if it ever happened to me that a segment does not clear and I do not get miles back based on that statement. It is quite likely that the current requirement is for every segment on a multi-segment tinerary to have 'I' available before the upgrades can clear, so that the situation does not arise very often. It may also be why itinerary-splitting may sometimes be necessary...

15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That requirement does not exist. It is quite possible to book awards with mixed cabins. The site even sells them without agent interaction. And you are charged the higher price at that time. That's a pretty solid indication that you are going to pay the higher price for the award even if that wait list doesn't clear.

Or you can look at it as you get the miles for that segment refunded. But you are due none so the "refund" is for zero miles.

16. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    BTW, you might not call it an upgrade but based on the following example, UA definitely treats it as such:

17. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    We may be talking about different things or the language is totally screwed up because:

18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not really, That's what the list is called but you're actually a displaced passenger awaiting confirmation in your ticketed cabin, not a passenger upgrading. It makes a difference in how you are processed and prioritized on the list.
    Yes, I'm very aware of the need to call in to get put on the list. I was disputing your assertion that all the segments of a multi-segment itinerary would need to be available to have any one segment in I rather than X. That is absolutely not necessary.

19. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    LOL. Except that if the 'upgrade' does not clear, the passenger will have a confirmed seat in the back...;)
    Like I said, I would argue my case if it every happens to me. A clear-cut case where upgrades are tied that I'd experienced and had to split the itinerary is for multi-segment with the same flight number through...

20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hence the term "displaced" in the description.

Argue what??

Say you've booked the itinerary the OP proposed - BOI-LAX-KOA - and you've paid the 40,000 points for the one-way award with the first segment in I and the second in X but waitlisted for I. When that segment doesn't clear what are you due back? Certainly not 17,500 as you traveled part of your booked itinerary in the premium cabin. And splitting the award into CONUS-CONUS(I)+CONUS-HI(X) makes it even more expensive as an award.

You get nothing back in that scenario. It is still a 40k point award.

21. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    LOL. "Displaced".

I have already stated the case that I would argue.

We have exhausted this one, I think...

22. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You've said you're going to ask for miles back. Based on what? If you fly a mixed cabin itinerary you pay the higher rate. That is abundantly clear from UA's policies. The how and why of any one segment being in the lower cabin doesn't matter.

Or do you believe that anytime one books a mixed cabin award, waitlists one segment and it doesn't clear they should only pay the lower price for the whole award?

I gave you a very specific example itinerary and it just so happens to be the one the OP of this thread is interested in. If the scenario happened in the way you have projected and the LAX-KOA segment ends up flown in Y what miles do you believe you are owed and how to you get to that number?

23. norge
    Original Member

norge Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have another related question. Am I allowed to W/L for the one segment, SFO-KOA on 1/8/15 and W/L for the exact same flights the next day?

The flts I want are available only the day before my preferred date. So I'd like to W/L for the following day too.

Finally, since US is leaving *A on 3/30 will UA have access to these US flts I want to W/L for after 3/30?

24. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You cannot waitlist for US-operated flights at all so don't worry about that part.

As for listing on a different day, I believe you can but I don't remember if you can list for multiple flights while holding one confirmed. I seem to think that such is only possible with revenue, not reward travel, but I'm not certain.

25. norge
    Original Member

norge Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. What i was worrying about was if UA would have the ability to move me to the same US flts the next day, 1/9/15, after US leaves the *A.