Award Travel segment change

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by annkreit, Mar 30, 2014.  |  Print Topic

  1. annkreit

    annkreit Silver Member

    Messages:
    32
    Likes Received:
    16
    Status Points:
    130
    We have UA and SA partner award reservations JFK>LAX > ICN & various other Asian points. Due to a flight change time post reservation our connect time in LAX lessened. We now want to arrive LAX the day prior to ICN segment to reduce stress factor of connection. Trip is in the fall, however, right now no IN seats offered the day we need. If I book a JFK <LAX on a new reservation (with hope of forfeiting if IN appears down the line....what risks am I facing ? How best to protect both itineraries?
     
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

    Wandering Aramean Gold Member

    Messages:
    28,208
    Likes Received:
    61,731
    Status Points:
    20,020
    Don't do that. If you don't fly JFK-LAX on the original booking then LAX-ICN will be lost.

    How short is the connection in LAX? If below the Minimum Connect Time for LAX you have a lot more leverage with UA and may be able to get them to force open the award space you need. As an alternative you can have UA waitlist you for the JFK-LAX flight you want as part of the existing reservation.
     
  3. annkreit

    annkreit Silver Member

    Messages:
    32
    Likes Received:
    16
    Status Points:
    130
    The connect time is 2 hrs 20 min...but domestic to TBI terminal and that stresses us. UA rep told me that I could book the separate but they would add it on to the full itinerary...they would then cancel the original JFK>LAX but said I could reinstate if IN appears for what i want. Can't I keep both now and if IN never shows, simply call them to combine the new res so we won't be marked as no shows?
     
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

    Wandering Aramean Gold Member

    Messages:
    28,208
    Likes Received:
    61,731
    Status Points:
    20,020
    I would not trust that info from the rep. Merging two separate PNRs is not something which is reasonably done and I would not expect it to happen as you're describing here.

    I agree that 2:20 isn't great for T7->TBIT but it also isn't a crazy rush. I'd ask them to waitlist the desired flight on the existing itinerary and otherwise not touch it.
     
  5. annkreit

    annkreit Silver Member

    Messages:
    32
    Likes Received:
    16
    Status Points:
    130
    Of course, that is assuming that the 6:30 am flight from JFK has no delays on that day. The situation is that based on what the rep said and the fact that we really wanted to arrive LAX the day before, I have already booked separate 1way to LAX. What do you suggest I do now? The rep indicated that I could just cancel the 1st JFK segment and have the award itinerary begin LAX<ICN........oh dear!
     
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

    Wandering Aramean Gold Member

    Messages:
    28,208
    Likes Received:
    61,731
    Status Points:
    20,020
    Sure, if you don't mind paying the change fees and the extra miles for JFK-LAX on top of the already paid LAX-ICN.

    My recommendation has not changed from the advice I've offered previously.
     
  7. annkreit

    annkreit Silver Member

    Messages:
    32
    Likes Received:
    16
    Status Points:
    130
    I will sort this through intact somehow. Thank you, Seth!
     

Share This Page