Award Travel (RT: LAX-MSY-DEN)

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Efilon87, Jan 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

I have a couple of friends I would like to visit this year in NO and Denver and to do so I was hoping to cash in some of my miles (either for first or coach). All my miles are spread across AA (51,809), United/Cont (72,280), US Air (77,576) and Delta (21,192). I would be flying from LAX. Three questions:

1) Will it cost the same amount of miles if I stay in each city for a couple days (rather than just doing layovers), if it is booked on the same reservation?

2) Which airline is the best for these routes?

3) Should I book online or call a reservation agent?

2. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

With AA and UA/CO you basically book one way tickets. If you just do a connection in DEN it will save you some points but you will not have much time to visit. So you are talking 3 one way award tickets. You can "mix and match" the awards between airlines so that will give you more flexibility. AA does not fly non-stop MSY - DEN so for that leg you will need to fly UA / CO or US.

You might consider paying cash for at least the DEN - LA flight. SW is flying that route for about $82 plus taxes.