Award Travel on US Using Avios

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by MX, Dec 22, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    As recently summarized on The Flight Deal, award travel on US Airways can be booked with Avios starting 03/31/2014. This should be great news for anyone who can use DCA, PHL, CLT, PHX.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
    UA191 and jwsky like this.
  2. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hate to be slow here but I book Avios on aa and as all the time and have never paid a fuel surcharge on domestic. It is always &2.50-10 in USA/faa taxes for OW or RT. Why do those us destinations have them now when booked with Avios?

MX likes this.
  3. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    LOL. You're assuming that US will have loads of low-level availability in their award chart. Hint: this is all being ridiculously optimistic, US is NOT particularly generous with coach availability. Much less so than AA- my experience is that it's often slim pickings. So I wouldn't make plans on flying your family to Cancun with BA Avios...

viguera likes this.
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Preach.

I've had limited success with domestic redemptions on AA using Avios, but generally short notice stuff usually shows up. With US it has always been hit and miss, although I'm sure it has something to do with the destinations.

Then again, having another option to burn Avios, even if limited, is never a bad thing.

eponymous_coward, brucewil and MX like this.
  5. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not saying it's bad to have more Avios options, but just throwing out potential destinations without assessments of availability doesn't give a true impression. My experience is that AA > US, and the WSJ articles saying that US is horrible at own-metal awards (that roundly get ripped because they don't account for *A OAL availability) are generally on the mark. I have occasionally found some stuff on US, but it's all offseason kind of stuff (like PHX in July, LAS in December, last minute).

6. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    The real advantage of Avios comes when booking short haul flights vs AAdvantage (and I assume the US program). The actual number of miles/points required is much less with the BA program. The other two programs don't differentiate between a 2500-mile domestic flight and a 250-mile one, Avios does. I book a lot of YYZ-ORD or YYZ-NYC flights with Avios, 4.5K each way vs 12.5K if I used AA miles! As for availability, we'll have to see what US puts into inventory. When I've done regular award flight searches on Aeroplan or MileagePlus, I find plenty of US options in economy and first show up as options within NAmerica.

MX likes this.
  7. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Avios and Chase has sure helped my travel with AA ,and Lifetime Gold sure helps with the stand by.

MX likes this.