Award Travel At SPG Questions

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by paramount, Feb 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I booked an award today using Cash + points for a 6-day stay at the Sheraton Denver for $45+ 2800 points per night (regular $200 dollar a night). I have a couple questions.

What are the chances that I get the room that I booked (1 King size)?
    Are there any chances that I will not be able to have the room at all?
    Do taxes apply to the full hotel fare amount or just the $45 per night?

Thanks in advance

flyingdawg likes this.
  2. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    What are the chances that I get the room that I booked (1 King size)?

Never not received the bed I asked for. Always been treated the same as if I had paid.

Are there any chances that I will not be able to have the room at all?

You have a reservation. Yes, we read about people being "walked" but it is a very rare occurence.

Do taxes apply to the full hotel fare amount or just the $45 per night?

Just the $45 - should be minimal.
    You sound WAY too nervous! Relax and enjoy!

Flews likes this.
  3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    The fact that the hotel is offering cash + points means that at this point they do not expect to be full.

On regular award nights, if the hotel's occupancy exceeds 90% then Starwood Preferred Guest will have to pay the hotel its average daily room rate (which is higher than standard reimbursement rate).

A hotel gets to choose whether or not to offer cash and points. If they do offer it, and they wind up full, they don't get extra reimbursement.

Thus a hotel only offers cash and points when they are confident they won't displace a paying customer by doing so.

That doesn't mean the hotel won't be full. But the hotel doesn't think that it will be.

If the hotel does wind up oversold, someone will get walked, and they'll be entitled to compensation for it. Bed types aren't guaranteed on awards but I'd be shocked if you had a problem.

And as noted above, taxes apply only on the cash portion of the cash + points award. (I've had some hotels not charge me the tax at all, though they should have.)

tahewett likes this.
  4. Phineas
    Original Member

Phineas Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here is a question that I can't come up with an answer; I will call but thought you guys might have some input

I want to book a room for 2 adults 2 kids. Every other chain I've tried booking a room at has a maximum occupancy of 3 total heads. All the other chains also ask for total guests or total adults, total kids.

Starwood, however asks only for total adults. If I show up with two adults as claimed and 2 kids (under 12) will there be a problem. The booking system is allowing this obviously by me claiming 2 adults. I don't want to get all the way to the property and get turned away or forced to get a 2nd room.

5. I just don't want any surprises ya know. I'm excited to stay at the hotel.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    IMO it would be safer to either call the hotel or call the SPG concierge. Ask not only what's allowed but also for details of the room. Even if the hotel lets your family stay in the room, it could be pretty miserable with no extra beds or space for the kids. Rather than worry until arrival, call them now while your options are best.

7. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Generally, this is true. Occasionally, there are exceptions which cannot be logically explained.

I could be wrong, but I thought that bed types were guaranteed on C&P awards but not on standard awards.

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I could envision a new or newly renovated hotel being willing to offer C & P rooms as a way to show potential customers their product and invest in long term loyalty to their property. Also, if they don't know whether they'll be sold out, C & P beats empty rooms if they assume that C & P customers would not have otherwise either used 100% points or paid cash rates.

9. Flews
    Original Member

Flews Silver Member

Status Points:
    While there are some exceptions, such as Italy, I have never had an issue showing up at a Startwood property with Mrs. Flews & two kids at countless properties throughout Canada, United States and Caribbean. In fact, they always go out of their way to be helpful with the kids, ie: two cribs, etc...

Cheers,

10. unclepants
    Original Member

unclepants Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had the same experience with Starwood, throughout the chain. We'll travel with three young kids and they always seem to find a way to accommodate us. Some properties have gone out of their way even to make the check-in experience special for the kids (Sheraton Suites Calgary, for e.g.).

I do find that a call to the Plat Concierge in advance really seems to help.

11. Actonma
    Original Member

Actonma Silver Member

Status Points:
    When booking the Westin Tokyo a couple of years ago the website showed a maximum room occupancy of 4 but the SPG reservation agent's information said 3...her advice was for me to book online. That said, I see now that award reservations all say maximum 2 adults per room...not sure what the age that Starwood considers kids to be adults....

12. SPG Champion
    Original Member

SPG Champion Official Representative

Status Points:
    Children are considered to be 17 and under, with a few notable exceptions. If a hotel has an exceptional child policy, it will be noted on their Announcements page. See, for instance, the St. Regis Mardaval as an example.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
    Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
    Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

guest.forum@starwoodhotels.com