Award to JNB creative ideas?

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by philatravelgirl, Mar 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    After this w/e at the travel show I decided to look at JNB award options in sept from east coast and of course not having any luck in J. My question is any creative Star Alliance routes I may have overlooked? Home airport is PHL but can go from JFK, EWR or IAD. Tried SAA nada, looked at FRA, LHR as connections with US and LH no luck. not familiar w/Star to know if I can pay easily for coach and upgrade w/miles at booking or if can split one way tix/carriers although think I looked at those too. Any ideas? I have 180k US and 80k CO/United
    Thanks!

2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    US gateway to GRU or EZE... then award??? on South African from one of those cities to JNB or CPT
    May also reduce your flying time by some 6-8 hours and avoid the ridiculous taxes and cost of overnighting in London.

philatravelgirl likes this.
  3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you looked at ZRH on LX C?

philatravelgirl likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    ADD, IST and CAI are also gateways worth considering. :-:

And I'd look at CPT over JNB. Much nicer area to visit.

Flyer1976 and philatravelgirl like this.
  5. philatravelgirl

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone!! Going to start playing with these options

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    On 10 September I see two seats IAD-FRA-CAI-JNB. It is UA F across the pond and then LH and MS C. Maybe you're over=paying a bit for the UA F experience, but it isn't the worst in the world. Odds are you can tag on a PHL-IAD and JNB-CPT if you want.

I searched using united.com and broke it up into individual segments rather than just PHL-JNB so that it would show more options.

Flyer1976 and NYBanker like this.
  7. philatravelgirl

Status Points:
    Thanks I did break it up to search and when I got crazy and used SEA (figured visit family first) space on connecting flight out of IAD which wasn't there earlier search popped up on SAA. Called US got J on SAA IAD out and JFK return for 110k -agent said my lucky night last seat. Do plan on Capetown visit during my three weeks/23 days, now need to do research/planning for visit.
    Thanks everyone for the various options, will keep in mind for next visit.

savingrace likes this.