Award tickets upgrade ability?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by MyTravels, Oct 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since the NWA merger Delta has allowed upgrades of award tickets (at least for those with status).

A few months ago my award ticket was upgraded and I asked if there was any way for my companion to be upgraded. Her reply was, I'd love to upgrade your companion as coach is oversold, but the system won't allow award tickets to be upgraded unless the traveler has status. (I spoke with others upgraded to first that had no status and coach was indeed full).

I know non-status award tickets aren't eligible for upgrades, but does the Delta computer system actually not allow upgrading of award tickets?

2. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:

My guess: if Y was oversold, they were not allowing upgrades into F as either medallions had been upgraded already or the seats were being held at the gate so that as few people as possible would be bumped. Award tickets are upgraded according to your status, and agents are good about if there is room. But oversold flights - not a chance. They need the seats for rev customers.

Dave

3. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    On top of that, your award ticket (or companions) can not be upgraded using miles on sLUT fares.

Here is DL rules

4. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Via an offline from Dave:

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't understand this response. AFAIK the OP's companion is confirmed on the flight and has a regular award ticket paid with miles. This is not a nonrev. Whether the companion sits in coach or FC, they are still entitled to a seat on the plane. Upgrading the companion makes absolutely no difference to the overbooked situation.

6. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, neither of the two initial responses addressed the question asked, but after PM'ing both Dave provided a response to the question asked.

The flight wasn't oversold, just Y class was oversold (so no one was bumped off the flight, and some non-status were bumped up to 1st). A non-status was getting upgraded one-way-or-another, and that's exactly what happened, I was just curious if the gate agent really "couldn't" upgrade the non-status award ticket or just didn't. It sounds like by default it's a non-status award ticket isn't upgradeable, but an override will allow the upgrade.

As a non-status award ticket won't normally be upgraded, there's no complaints about the situation or what occurred, this was mainly just a post of curiosity and learning about what limitations exist.