Award ticketing rules (open Jaw and stopover)

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by catharsis, Feb 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. catharsis
    Original Member

catharsis Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all

I have heard that now an Open Jaw and a Stopover are both allowed when booking an award ticket.

I am trying to clarify whether these are in addition to your 'destination' stop?

i.e. is it possible to go A-B(stopover)-C(destination)-D(openjaw start)-surface leg-E(openjaw finish)-A(starting point) and book all of that as a single RT ticket?

My plan, if anyone is interested is cdg-lax-ppt(stopover)-akl(destination)-can(open jaw-icn)-cdg which might work if my interpretation of the rules is correct (and if it does would be very good value for miles as it can ALL be booked on partners and not on DL metal - meaning it prices out at 150k in J)

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    What you've described is TWO stopovers in addition to your destination and an open jaw.

You can do:
    A-B (stop)
    B-C (destination)
    <open jaw>
    D-A

In your example you are stopping in PPT as well as CAN in addition to your AKL destination.

catharsis likes this.
  3. catharsis
    Original Member

catharsis Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ahh, so the open jaw is by definition itself also a stopover? Many thanks for the clarification (I had understood the new rules to mean 'two stopovers, one of which could be an open jaw' as well as the destination - I think I get it from your description above)

I guess by that definition the following would be legal though....
    CDG-LAX-PPT(stopver, open jaw) AKL- (either of) CAN/ICN (stopover)- CDG ?

and we pick up the ppt-akl component ourselves as well as whatever domestic travel in east asia we want to do... still sounds like a great use of miles if I can book it successfully

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, the open jaw is supposed to be either at the destination or at the origin. Also, the distance of the open jaw must be less than the distance traveled on a leg.

To make your routing work, you could make one of the stopovers be less than 24 hours, so that it would be considered a connection on an international ticket, even if it involves staying overnight.

Your revised routing should work, but PPT-AKL would be called the open jaw, not a stopover, PPT would be the destination (AKL could also be considered a destination due to the open jaw), and CAN or ICN would be your stopover.

How this would price in low is anyone's guess.

5. catharsis
    Original Member

catharsis Silver Member

Status Points:
    Apologies, I guess I should have put it as follows

since I presume the PPT-AKL leg counts as a destination, and the East Asia stop as the stopover I am assuming this becomes legal. (i.e a relatively stratightforward A->B C-D(stopover)-A ticket)

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Destination is a single airport; stopover is defined by a pair of airports.

7. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    To build on the existing discussion, how is stopover defined? For example suppose I want to travel between 2 hubs, ATL and MSP, would I be allowed a stopver at a city geographically between them that has service to both (SDF, IND,ORD) or am I limited to natural routings I would find on revenue bookings? I have previously only used the stopover in a hub, convenient as MSP is home but would like to see what elese I can do with my Skymiles.

8. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Depends on the routing rules for the two cities. Many international routings are specified based on maximum permitted mileage, so you can connect (and stopover if within the rules) anywhere that doesn't exceed the MPM. Domestically, things are usually specified in more detail. For example, the routing rules for MSP-ATL are that it must be nonstop or direct, so I don't think you'd succeed at getting a stopover at IND.

Exiled in Express likes this.