Award ticket woes

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by adambadam, May 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    My woes started yesterday when I was checking my reservation online and realized it was missing a segment that had originally been confirmed and ticketed. This was an inter-Asia flight in C on OZ. I called up the 1K desk where the agent was apologetic though not much more than that and told me that OZ does this frequently. Fortunately he was able to confirm me on an Air China flight a couple hours earlier than I was originally schedule.

On top of that, I have been trying to change my award home from Europe to a direct flight on LH. UA.com has been showing availability in F for the last couple days and I have tried calling in multiple times to get them to change it to no avail. I believe this was the phantom ticket issue that I have read about. Today even the ANA tool is showing seats so I am fairly sure the availability is real. Yet when I call up UA, still, the agents aren't seeing it. Any thoughts? StarNet blocking, a delay in the computers, some other glitch?

Sorry for the rant though got tired of calling up and decided I would rather type.

Lufthansa Flyer and iolaire like this.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you call OZ after the reservation was confirmed and ticketed? For some reason, the OZ CSRs in the US ask for the E-Ticket # or OZ Confirmation # so that they can attach the reservation from UA to their system.

Tried to change an existing UA award from the EU to US and was told at first that there was zero F space on a certain LH flight that I noticed space on according to KVS (ANA) and UA's website. However, after telling him that I see space on these flights he started to type for a few minutes and told me that he found the space... Did you call multiple times to the 1K/Premier Desk?

Sweet Willie and KVS Tool like this.
  3. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    No never called OZ. I didn't occur to me. The agent who rebooked me told me that he now suggests to anyone he is working with on an award ticket that has OZ in it to do just that -- which is a ridiculous slap in the face to your customers. But oh well at least it didn't turn into a nightmare situation at the airport.

Finally have a few more minutes to call back the desk again. They are not even finding the LH flight in their system right now/ can't figure out how to manually look it up.

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    NYCUA1K likes this.
  5. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
  6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with the diagnosis of this problem in your blog:
    When FM (Shanghai Airlines) was still part of *A, I had booked an award through PMUA to fly PVG-HKG on FM. Everything looked kosher except when I went to take the flight: there was a reservation but no ticket! the FM agent told me that PMUA had made the reservation and it was still in the system, but they never ticketed it. My luck was that FM did not drop the reservation. In the end, they (FM) just charged me $100 to issue the ticket on the spot, which PMUA reimbursed me for after I related what had happened.

Therefore, your suggested solution seems like the way to go: until we are sure that the UA's end of things has been fixed, call OZ to ensure that the reservation has been ticketed...

iolaire likes this.
  7. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Call UA back, and if inventory is not there, ask agent to do a Long Sell request from lufthansa. Most, not all agents are willing to do this (it takes a minute). By doing this, UA is actually contacting LH realtime to see if a seat can be freed up. Worked for me several times this year

8. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am now getting agents telling me UA has met there quota of award seats in this flight and that is why they remove it from their computers. No luck with anyone doing a long sale yet. have heard you can do long sales to other carriers and can't do long sales for award tickets. Fortunately the award space is still showing on ANA so there is still a little sliver of hope.

Edit: Latest agent actually called over to LH and was telling me that they had award space though only for LH customers before my phone dropped the call. She was the best luck I have had with an agent so far though.

9. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Next time you call, ask to be connected directly to a supervisor.

10. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Supervisor won't even do a long sell. Says they can't do them any more in the new system for partner space. Then she gave me crap about it being a miniRTW ticket and about how they are "aware of this problem".

11. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had the same issue with LH. Most people say to hang up and try again but I was offended that they were, basically, lying to me. This was with US Air. Got the supervisor and told him that I was Platinum with US, but that if I had chosen CO/UA for my loyalty, I could have had the reservation with a click and I repeated over and over that this was not fair and not right.

Eventually, the supervisor put me on hold and came back with it ticketed. I get that it cost them money that they would rather not spend, but that is not how they portray themselves and, as I said, it's neither right nor fair. In the end, it was worth it - LH First was truly wonderful! Best of luck and stay with it.

12. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Still getting the run around. Been calling in twice a day to try my luck. I even successfully ticketed it on the website as a one way though that didn't really help as they were not able to combine the awards and I didn't want to be out another 70K miles and the taxes.

13. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well sorry for the double post...

Alas success. Was able to switch to the LH flight. Had a really helpful agent who put me on hold for about 25 mins while she called up three different departments. She came back on saying she thinks she figured out the problem and to confirm the change and then my hotel Internet connection crapped out. After throwing a few pillows around the room I checked the website only to see an updated itinerary. I called back and the new agent said he just needed to reissue the ticket and I was all set. I feel bad that I never had a chance to thank the agent who figured out the problem as she was able to do what apparently was "impossible" to do according to probably 2 dozen of her peers. On top of that I never got to figure out what was actually wrong so that I could pass on some useful information to anyone else in the same situation. I guess persistence is all that matters.