Award ticket question.

Discussion in 'Cathay Pacific | Asia Miles/Marco Polo Club' started by klrsmith, Oct 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. klrsmith

klrsmith Silver Member

Status Points:
    Over the last couple of years I've had quite a few flights on CX (hitting gold last two years). I discovered that I'll need to redeem some miles, since almost half my AsiaMiles are going to expire in 2014 - While I've had plenty of paid flights, I've never redeemed on CX, but I was able to wait list today on a flight in business class JFK-HKG then back a couple weeks later, HKG-JFK in November.

My questions are:

What is the procedure for a wait listed flight - am I notified when/if the flight clears so that I can pay fees/taxes, choose seats, etc?

The website shows the itinerary in my account, and that its not ticketed but must be by 06 NOV or the itinerary will be canceled - is that normal for a wait listed flight?

What's the typical time to clear? Departing flight is Nov 10-NOV.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Regards,

Kevin

2. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is the procedure for a wait listed flight - am I notified when/if the flight clears so that I can pay fees/taxes, choose seats, etc?
    Yes, you'll receive a call from them, it's a +852 (HK) number. If it's confirmed on their end they'll ask for your credit card to pay taxes/fuel surcharges. Then email you a confirmed e-ticket. Note that it won't show confirmed online until they've called you and got your credit card info, even if it's already been con

The website shows the itinerary in my account, and that its not ticketed but must be by 06 NOV or the itinerary will be canceled - is that normal for a wait listed flight?
    Yes, there's a date online for all wait-listed bookings. Usually they'll call you before Nov 6th. If you don't get anything by Nov 5th, Call in. They'll probably extend that date.

What's the typical time to clear? Departing flight is Nov 10-NOV.
    It really depends, sometimes really early. Sometimes late. There's no way to tell. If you want a rough guess, get someone to look up the paid seats ava. on KVS. if there's still spots ava. on business class in JFK-HKG before the flight departs. I'm pretty sure you'll get it. I booked a flight for May 2014 and I got a phone call in Mid-Sept, 2013 that it was confirmed. I'm guessing CX isn't expecting to sell that many seats in May so they just gave it to me early.

If the flight is necessary, I suggest you have some back-up plan just in case.

I'm still waiting for my Dec 19 flight to clear. I'm CX Gold too with AM expiring in Jan. 2014. So it's either I get it or I'm screwed.

klrsmith likes this.
  3. klrsmith

klrsmith Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi sudo,

Thanks a lot for the info, that answered my questions! My backup plan is to use United miles - they show a bunch of space on quite a few partners, so I actually trying to book that backup now.

Seems to be quite a difference in prices on what's supposed to be "award" tickets on CX ($400+) versus a whole $5 on United/ANA for the same route - just glad to burn these up before they expire - Glad I started booking all my CX miles to AA.

Sammich likes this.
  4. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    No problem!

I've been anti-Star Alliance for quite some while (Mostly because of AC), so my back-up plan is cash. :(. I'm in the process of going from CX to AA as well since I'm not too fond as how AM is redeemed/expiration. Plus I'm no longer flying to Asia that much compared to before. In fact, I'll be losing my CX Gold the end of this year as I wasn't able to satisfy their renewal requirements. AA seems to be a lot easier to earn elite status vs. CX. I can renew my AA Gold in one week of flying next summer! :)