Award Ticket Irrops

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by EyeOnTheSkies, Jul 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. EyeOnTheSkies

EyeOnTheSkies Silver Member

Status Points:
    If a flight is delayed due to a delayed inbound aircraft and a misconnect will occur on an award ticket, what is UA's responsibility to get me to my destination? Specifically, if there is no award inventory on the *A partner's next flight will UA tell me me to pound sand until award space opens up or will they access revenue buckets?

2. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    IME, they can rebook into revenue buckets. This was pre-3/3 and on UA metal, though.

3. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    "Award inventory" etc is terminology meant to confuse and manipulate consumers. The airline owns the plane and can use the seats however it wants. In a pinch, eg, an irrop where it is responsible and may be looking at hotel/compensation etc, that is precisely what is will do.

In a bad enough irrop which cannot be (mis)represented as mechanical or weather, the staff at the particular airport where you happen to be just wants you out of that airport and will send you on some connection somewhere; the airline wants you at your destination, so you are not their problem any more.

Of course, if you are requesting a "voluntary" change, they'll have a thousand reasons why it can't be done without hefty fees. :)

NYCUA1K likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    At any point once travel has commenced award tickets are to be considered by all *A partners as regular revenue tickets. Whether they play by the rules or not is another question, but that's how they should be treated.

EyeOnTheSkies, desamo and Flyer1976 like this.
  5. EyeOnTheSkies

Status Points:
    Specifically, the reason I'm asking is on the SQ award tickets, there obviously won't be award space on SQ so I wanted to find out whether UA will indeed accommodate me on the next SQ flight.

6. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    SQ is an exception to the usual rebooking rules. United -- and indeed, most every Star member carrier -- will be loathe to rebook you even onto another SQ flight, and will rather put you on someone else unless you absolutely insist on SQ.

7. CGK
    Original Member

CGK Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are flying on an SQ segment that is affected by IRROPS, it becomes SQ's responsibility to rebook you and transport you to your final destination, whether you are traveling on an award ticket or a revenue ticket.

8. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've witnessed SQ's incompetence on this point when traveling as a Star Gold out of their own hub. Booking this ticket through United is a true blessing indeed.

desamo likes this.
  9. CGK
    Original Member

CGK Gold Member

Status Points:
    As in, they were refusing to rebook or being difficult about it because the tickets were partner rewards, even though the problem was caused by their own IRROPS?

Wouldn't surprise me if SQ were difficult in that regard, although I've never dealt with them in IRROPS in all of my flights with them, fortunately.

10. EyeOnTheSkies

Status Points:
    Given UA's recent spike in mx cancellations, I'm far more concerned about UA rebooking me onto a new SQ segment if I misconnect in SFO or IAH due to UA's IRROPS.

11. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct. I ended up having to make a very expensive phone call to Continental to get the itinerary rebooked. Of course, SQ did not get the new booking details from CO, meaning the otherwise clueless SQ agent had to manually create a new booking for me on the spot in full Y on the new flight appending the new CO e-ticket...suffice it to say compensation was apparent by the time I landed. :D

Flyer1976 likes this.
  12. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is why I always travel with significant Skype credits. That and my phone bill's paid by the employer who likes to showcase my phone bill vs. company average. I'm always happy when int'l travel months still have me below company average.

13. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone who has to suffer in SQ Y SIN-DME-IAH should be compensated regardless.

HeathrowGuy likes this.