Award Ticket Date Change

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Jimgotkp, Dec 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a question regarding date changes on an award ticket. I plan on booking a ticket that is within twenty-one days which means I would be charged $75 since I'm a non-elite. The routing I'm looking at is SFO-JFK in F which shows an empty cabin. I really don't want to pay the $75 so if I book a ticket that is for travel in early February, I can request a change of date for free if the origin and destination is the same correct?

Thanks!

2. miamigrad
    Original Member

miamigrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Date/time changes on MileSAAver award tickets (with same origin/destination) are free. However, I've read on TOBB (I don't remember which one), that AA is clamping down on this "loophole" (booking a far off future date and changing to a date within 21 days) so I would be prepared to pay the expedite fee. That way, if you're not charged it, it will be a pleasant surprise.

EDITED:
    Here is the post that I knew I read, but couldn't remember where:
    http://www.travelingbetter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5120&highlight=expedite

Jimgotkp and rharrigill like this.
  3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I decided to go for it and ticket a later date and got it to work! Nothing better than saving $75 :)