I have a long-ticketed oneworld award for my wedding/honeymoon in a couple weeks. Between the IB strike and a major schedule change though it's suddenly shaping up to be a bit of a snafu. RJ cancelled their AMM-NBO flight and I'm currently in the process of being rebooked on a third-party airline (not oneworld) to get us there and back. The telephone agents called this "protection" and I'm happy it exists, but I wasn't sure what my rights are with an award ticket. Am I being done a favor, is this guaranteed, or are there some other specifications in the contract of carriage I should be aware of? Does anyone know the rules? Apparently the changes have to be approved by liaisons at each partner airline involved in the ticket, which is somewhat time-consuming. We were traveling IST-AMM-NBO on RJ, which has now morphed into IST-AMM-DXB-NBO, with the last leg a paid ticket on Kenya Airways covered by the alliance. For the return NBO-AMM they are apparently still deliberating what to give us, and with the time zones I figured I'd ask MP while I wait for Jordan to wake up. If it were up to me (and I'm not being offered a choice) I'd fly IST-NBO a little more directly, although I'll be happy if I can just get to Kenya where we have booked accommodations, etc. Still, flying IST-AMM-DXB does seem a little bit unnecessary, and if they're having to pay a third-party anyway I'm not sure why they can't just route us direct on Turkish airlines or on an inexpensive Egyptair flight. Relatedly, I'm wondering what happens if and when Iberia cancels a couple of our flights due to their strike. In advance, the only options on a oneworld award are changing dates (they are striking only on Mondays and Fridays). In a couple instances though if they actually go ahead and cancel, changing the date would result in a trip in vain. Does that qualify us for "protection" and an alternate routing?