Award ticket changes and "protection"

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by loudnotes, Apr 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. loudnotes

loudnotes Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a long-ticketed oneworld award for my wedding/honeymoon in a couple weeks. Between the IB strike and a major schedule change though it's suddenly shaping up to be a bit of a snafu.

RJ cancelled their AMM-NBO flight and I'm currently in the process of being rebooked on a third-party airline (not oneworld) to get us there and back. The telephone agents called this "protection" and I'm happy it exists, but I wasn't sure what my rights are with an award ticket. Am I being done a favor, is this guaranteed, or are there some other specifications in the contract of carriage I should be aware of? Does anyone know the rules?

Apparently the changes have to be approved by liaisons at each partner airline involved in the ticket, which is somewhat time-consuming. We were traveling IST-AMM-NBO on RJ, which has now morphed into IST-AMM-DXB-NBO, with the last leg a paid ticket on Kenya Airways covered by the alliance. For the return NBO-AMM they are apparently still deliberating what to give us, and with the time zones I figured I'd ask MP while I wait for Jordan to wake up.

If it were up to me (and I'm not being offered a choice) I'd fly IST-NBO a little more directly, although I'll be happy if I can just get to Kenya where we have booked accommodations, etc. Still, flying IST-AMM-DXB does seem a little bit unnecessary, and if they're having to pay a third-party anyway I'm not sure why they can't just route us direct on Turkish airlines or on an inexpensive Egyptair flight.

Relatedly, I'm wondering what happens if and when Iberia cancels a couple of our flights due to their strike. In advance, the only options on a oneworld award are changing dates (they are striking only on Mondays and Fridays). In a couple instances though if they actually go ahead and cancel, changing the date would result in a trip in vain. Does that qualify us for "protection" and an alternate routing?

perryplatypus likes this.
  2. loudnotes

loudnotes Silver Member

Status Points:
    In case anyone was curious, I was able to get protection and a routing change (now flying direct on AA, not through MAD) for the affected IB flight. The NBO leg is still up in the air, currently a victim of time zones and the Sunday-Thursday workweek in Jordan.

perryplatypus likes this.
  3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Hope it works out for you. Good luck!

wrxmom and perryplatypus like this.
  4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Just read that RJ is reinstating the AMM-NBO route but in October I believe. Won't help you at all it seems. Any update?

5. loudnotes

loudnotes Silver Member

Status Points:
    So it turns out the liaisons sit in Dallas, but they still don't work weekends and evidently had a pretty full queue today, so my request is still pending. The telephone agents have no way to bug them to hurry up, just a request ticket system, so now I'm just twiddling my thumbs for a bit.

6. loudnotes

loudnotes Silver Member

Status Points:
    Update: patience paid off in the end and we were reticketed AMM-DXB-NBO-DXB-AMM, one leg on Kenya Airways and the other on Emirates. We're booked in J so the DXB-NBO-DXB flights will earn miles, though I'm not sure what we'll do with Emirates (Alaska?) and I can't figure out how to get my Delta number into the Kenya Airways itinerary on their website.